My iOS 8 has chewed up all of my data allowance from AT&T. Why should I pay the overage?

I

iMore Question

iOS 8 has chewed up all of my data allowance from AT&T. Why should I pay the overage?

download of 8 has chewed up my data allowance from ATT because it kept booting me off my network...now I'm being charged another $20 for this overrun....why should I eat this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: iOS 8 has chewed up all of my data allowance from AT&T. Why should I pay the overage?

Because when you first noticed the problem, you should have called AT&T, Apple or come here for help AND you should not have been engaging in data usage in the form of streaming or whatever it was that used up your cellular data allowance when you knew you were being booted off of Wi-Fi, in my opinion. I am assuming that the problem you were having is no longer an issue.

shaman5

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: iOS 8 has chewed up all of my data allowance from AT&T. Why should I pay the overage?

First of all I did contact ATT yesterday when I got my first notice from them that there was high data usage which I could not understand as to the reason why...I have to assume that the tech support escalation I spoke with had no idea that Apple was having this issue...they thought it was perhaps the fact that I had several apps running and that with the 8 download which I told them I had initiated, there was more data being downloaded behind the scenes onto these apps. Secondly I have not been streaming anything other than my mail and had no idea I was automatically being booted from my own network until there was a piece on the morning news about this issue with apple. This is not ATT's issue but Apple's issue and therefore ATT is not going to issue a credit nor should they have to. I have tried(per instructions) to restore 7...instructions do not work...system stalls on ITunes...disgusted.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 8 has chewed up all of my data allowance from AT&T. Why should I pay the overage?

And people complain when the carriers restrict downloads to wifi-only for larger updates.

You are responsible for the charges associated with your account. Trying to negotiate with AT&T is your only option, apart from just writing the check.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but in your reply above, you were more descriptive. Having said that, having data downloading behind the scenes does not make it an Apple issue. For example: Having Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etcetera auto-updating using the background update feature. Location-based reminders and frequent locations are two other examples. Also, did you update to iOS 8 over cellular data? I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, and I'm sure you are upset about the overage, but it is up to you to go through each and every setting and make adjustments that may prevent the unnecessary use of data.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, but in your reply above, you were more descriptive. Having said that, having data downloading behind the scenes does not make it an Apple issue. For example: Having Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etcetera auto-updating using the background update feature. Location-based reminders and frequent locations are two other examples. Also, did you update to iOS 8 over cellular data? I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, and I'm sure you are upset about the overage, but it is up to you to go through each and every setting and make adjustments that may prevent the unnecessary use of data.
This, unless you can eliminate yourself from the equation you're more than likely going to have to pay the fee. I've been on AT&T for about 4 months and only one month did I manage not to go over my data limit. But I know it's my fault for not using WiFi as much as I should have.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73