My biggest gripe about the iPhone

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize what a P.I.T.A. the syncing and music manipulation of iTunes and the iPod function are on the iPhone 4. Considering that's one of the biggest reasons why I bought the iPhone was for the iPod functionality, I am not thrilled at all the way it was implemented.

I wasted hours getting my iPhone to sync with my work computer and home computer so I can manually add songs and organize them on two computers. As you might know, you can only sync with one one iTunes on one computer. What nonsense is it to edit iTunes files to do something iTunes should do natively.

What kills me the most: If you aren't careful or unsuspecting, you could easily delete everything off your iPhone when you try to manually sync your iPhone on another computer. Ridiculous!

I am still working on being able to move mp3s off my iPhone and to another computer as backup. I have a few SSH programs and jailbroke my iPhone but still having trouble transferring music off the phone to my computer. I realize that Apple does this to limit pirating, but other smartphones, droid, bb etc, you can transfer mp3s to and from easily.

I'm not too thrilled on the iPod's control layouts either. For one, I could care less about album art, especially considering most of my mp3s don't have album art. This means over half the screen is wasted space that could be used for bigger touchscreen buttons or bigger fonts for artist/song etc.

The iOS has a lot of nice features, but it lacks some very basic functionality that every other smartphone has or it's very cumbersome to use. Makes me want to call it iPOS.

Ok done ranting. :D

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
That's why I manage my music manually with no sync involved, just drag and drop on any computer I want. Also with no being careful, I plug my iPhone in and it syncs my calendar, apps and backs up only. I think you just need to do it differently.
And if you don't have album art, hit the button at the top right, no more wasted space.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
why not just stay with one computer? i cannot imagine having to constantly sync as much as you might be describing..

also, is it too late to return it??

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
lol

The reason I need to sync with more than one computer is because I DJ on the side and have a huge library of music. I'm using my iPhone to dump music onto to listen in the car so I can learn my music and filter through the junk songs.

I currently dump a batch of music on my phone and rate 4-5 stars for the keepers and 1-2 stars for garbage songs I don't want. The fact that I have a lot of music on my work computer and my home computer would make things easier if I could sync on two computers.

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That's why I manage my music manually with no sync involved, just drag and drop on any computer I want. Also with no being careful, I plug my iPhone in and it syncs my calendar, apps and backs up only. I think you just need to do it differently.
And if you don't have album art, hit the button at the top right, no more wasted space.

Can you tell us more about how you manage your music without syncing, and dropping and dragging on any computer? I'd like to do this if possible.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell us more about how you manage your music without syncing, and dropping and dragging on any computer? I'd like to do this if possible.

If you are on a PC there's a free program called CopyTrans that allows you to manually move songs to the iPhone. You can't copy FROM the iphone to your computer (as far as I can tell).

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I do it within iTunes. Plug in your iPhone then in iTunes go to your iPhone summary and select "Manually manage music and videos". You still have to do the drag and drop within iTunes but there is no syncing involved. Also you can copy from the iPhone, you just need third party software to do so. Although I find no need to do this unless I'm putting my music on someone else's computer.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
You can't "Manually manage music and videos" from more than 1 iTunes without doing some modifications to the second install of iTunes. If you try to "Manually manage music and videos" on another computer without modifying the iTunes files, you will DELETE ALL YOUR MUSIC. Ridiculous.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
You can sync and/or manually move files to the iPhone with only one iTunes and computer unless you do some modifications to the second computer

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, I guess I'm doing the impossible then. Me and my friends put music on each others iPhones and iPods from each others computers all the time. No modifications, just manually managed.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Like I said, I guess I'm doing the impossible then. Me and my friends put music on each others iPhones and iPods from each others computers all the time. No modifications, just manually managed.

This is correct. I've done the same thing. All through iTunes. Just needs to
be under the "Manually manage" state.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
No, I'm not confusing my iPhone and iPod touches with click wheel iPods or shuffles. It's fairly easy to tell the difference between them.