Must you have a Series 2 watch to see gps map data in Activity app

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I noticed at the recent keynote that you could now a see a map of your run in the activity app when using gps on the Series 2 Apple Watch. My question is, is this a Series 2 Watch exclusive feature or can you get the same info using an original watch and gps data from your phone?

I have tried a walk doing just that and it shows no map afterwards.

Anyone else?

thanks
Chris

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Well it's not really as the series one uses the iPhone GPS as does the Series 2 if the iPhone is present as stated in the keynote. So does the Series 2 only show map data when using the inbuilt GPS? I bet it shows it either way.

anon(9343851)

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
During the beta, people were reporting that 1st Generation WATCH was showing a map in the Activity app, even when leaving the iPhone at home. No idea how this was happening, but I saw a lot of screenshots (on MacRumors forums, I believe). I wonder if anyone could verify this.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If you go out with your Series watch without the phone, you will not get the Map data. I went for a run Friday morning with my Series 1 watch and my phone, and I when I check the Workouts tab in the Activities app on my phone, I definitely see the Route map.

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
So it's not obvious at all then. I have just been for a run with my original watch and iPhone and it does now show your route map. This only seems to work with runs not outdoor walks which is inconsistent really!

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually I've just checked and yes walk show the map too now. So for anyone who is wondering, you can see map data in the Activity app on original Apple Watch as long as you have your phone with you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen