Multitasking

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it's sad to think that anyone who has never used it before, until now, will think this is true multitasking

should be called recently used

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
it's sad to think that anyone who has never used it before, until now, will think this is true multitasking

Updated apps have some semblance of multitasking. GPS apps will continue to run in the background, streaming music will continue to run. Others well "save states" so they can quickly load back up to where they were.

It is just somewhat limited multi-tasking.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Actually that is not sad, it's excellent, because they will notice that their apps load instantly, and they can easily switch between their apps, and yet they have no drain on battery or performance. That's an excellent future for multitasking. Not sad at all.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site

Oh FFS, get over it. Apps that have a legit reason to multitask, do. Those that don't, don't chew up resources. Apple is correct that this should mean absolutely NOTHING to the user. If you really want to micromanage your phone, buy a Droid.

card0124

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from a palm pre which with it's cards has the easiest and most effective for of multitasking onthe market IMO, but now that I have the iPhone 4 I am still glad I madethe switch. The multitasking works good and the apps that have been updated work awesome. I don't understand how everyone has to complain how the multitasking sucks so badly. Want better multitasking get another phone. Constructive criticism is one thing, but what most people do on here is just complain and complain.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
here is something to look at.

Take a jailbroken iPad, install Backgrounder and (i forget the name) an app/mod that displays memory usage in the status bar. Launch an app then set it to run in the background.

When you go back to the springboard, the app is still using all of the memory it was using when it was launched. What task is the app doing that you need it to continue to use up all of that memory in the background, and thus battery power.

In order for the app to stay running in total, the active memory needs to be kept active via the battery.

Apple's method is to make the app slim down it's footprint when it is not the foreground application. Currently with the iOS Multitasking API, this is via...
Music Playback (Pandora, Tuner Internet Radio, etc)
GPS (Navigon)
Local Notifications (aNote)
VoIP (Skype)
Fast App Switching via Saved States
Task Completion for file uploads

The above instantly give apps more power than they have ever had before on the iPhone, and make them far more stable than the Jailbroken methods.

When it comes to websites, content is king. When it comes to cell phones and mobile devices, battery life is king. It's easy for a desktop to support full multitasking, it's plugged into a constant power source. Its easy for a laptop to support full multitasking, it's battery can sometimes be 2 or 3 times larger than the iPhone itself.

What we need to be discussing is what do we want to see Apple add to the Multitasking APIs in future releases of iOS? Here is my one suggestion...

Background Fetch API: Make the "Fetch" function of Mail global so any app that you want to have Fetch data (Twitter timeline), is able to at set intervals.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
sorry guys, apparently i've been spending too much time on rival sites..

@jello
you always has a way of convincing people to think outside of the box, you should be in sales. haha

@Duvi
good point. i guess in this day & age multitasking is subjective and Apple is creating their own version of it

Jeff, love the FFS comment... and i'll never go to a droid. thank you

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I am really happy with the multi tasking. I have to admit that I'm really wanting the skype update, but that's not Apple's fault. I was recently at the hospital w/ my mom and didn't get cell signal but had guest wifi. I was able to stay in touch with family through text+ online working in background so it was a nice step in for texting updates.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
To be iPhone 4 compliant and approved the apps should have to be Retina Display ready and multi-task, sleep, recently used etc. Otherwise they can be misleading with the iOS4 tested or approved info.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I remember when i 1st got this i4 and played with the multitasking, i didnt like it too much because i was still used to Proswitcher and Backgrounder but if u ask me now... i love the way Apple put the multitasking option on here, im used to it and i actually love the fact that most of the apps saves its state to where u left off thus managing ALOT better battery life then my 3G|s|.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
to be honest I dont even use the multitasking feature because it just fills up with to many apps every once in a while I go in and delete them

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
to be honest I dont even use the multitasking feature because it just fills up with to many apps every once in a while I go in and delete them

IF you are jailbroken you can turn off multitask by editing the N82AP.plist in the SpringBoard.app

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
No need to delete items from the multitasking
bar. It's not needed unless it's location based,
VoIP or streaming. Even then, there is usually
a way to exit backgrounding apps.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
but if u have an app acting up then its a good idea to delete it from the bar, this way u can reload the app fresh

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh