Mujjo Leather Wallet Case for iPhone X: When Someone Else Does it Better

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is how a leather wallet case should be done. Make no mistake, this case is largely based off of Apple’s leather case design, but Mujjo does it so much better. A few years ago, I really loved Apple’s leather case and rocked a blue one on my iPhone 6s all the way up until I got my 7. When I upgraded, I decided to check out Apple’s new leather cases as well and was extremely disappointed. The leather felt sticky and cheap and the aluminum buttons looked like toy pieces. I was not happy and gave up on finding a good leather case to compliment my iPhone. However, thanks to Mujjo, JC's got his groove back.

IMG_0087.JPG

The Look - Subtly Stands Out

From the moment I opened the shipping box to gaze at the Mujjo Full Leather Wallet Case for the iPhone X, I was instantly impressed. Normally cases don’t make me stop and take a second glance when I pull them out of the box, but with this one I did. I literally paused, said “wow” to myself and proceeded to immediately pull it out of the box. Normally when a new case arrives for review, it sits on my desk for a few days until I’m finished with the current one I’m reviewing but not this time. I opened it right away and slapped it on my iPhone X without hesitation.

I could tell just by looking at it that this was a high quality case. I’m not a leather expert by any means, but I’ve worked with leather before and I’ve been around enough leather accessories to know a good leather case when I see one. This is genuine, full grain leather that has been treated with vegetable oil. What that means is that the oil really helps bring out the grains in the leather making them more noticeable while also keeping the leather soft and smooth to the touch. Also, because this is genuine full grain leather, it will age like leather does and acquire it’s own unique patina over time. I can’t wait to see what it looks like in a few months.

IMG_0059.JPG

I was a little apprehensive when they told me I was getting the Olive color as green is not one of my favorite colors… especially olive green. . Mujjo has completely changed my mind however. Now I’m not going to repaint my house or anything, but the gorgeous, understated green here is really quite beautiful. It complements my iPhone X wonderfully without being too ostentatious or distracting. I’m smitten. The Tan, Black, and Grey colors on their website look absolutely incredible as well. I might be tempted to purchase an extra one just to have some variety.

IMG_0060.JPG

The Feel - Quality You Can Touch

This case feels incredible in the hand. You know how when companies use that cheap, fake leather you can feel it right away in your hand? Thankfully that’s not the case (pun intended) here. This guy is made from genuine, full grain leather. The leather is soft and smooth while still providing a decent amount of grip to keep it from sliding out of your hand. The entire bottom is open, similar to what Apple does with their cases and there’s a hole for the mute switch as well. It’s a tad small but I have smaller hands so it was ok for me. For folks with larger paws, it may be a tad more annoying. The other buttons are covered, but they don’t provide as much feedback as I’d like. That may change over time as the case wears but initially it’s much softer than I would like it to be. Speaking of wear, this leather will age beautifully over time and I can’t wait. I already can’t put my phone down because of how great this case feels and that’s only going to get better over time.

The Design - Impressively Useful Features

In addition to the look and feel, the overall design of this case is impressive too. I’ve mentioned that it’s very similar to Apple’s leather cases so if you’ve seen or used those, you have a pretty good idea of what this one is like. The inside includes the microfiber inlay that Apple put in theirs as well. Mujjo says this is a Japanese microfiber which I’m going to assume is more unique than just a regular microfiber made by someone else, but the point is the same. It keeps the gorgeous glass back of your iPhone X clean and scratch free while encased.

The case curves around to the front of the phone providing a 1mm lip to keep the screen off of the table when laid face down. This has become fairly standard across most devices nowadays but it’s still cool to see when case makers remember the little details. Speaking of details, Mujjo tapers the leather inwards slightly around the camera hump to not only help with taking pictures but also to just add to the aesthetic of the case. It’s the little things guys.

IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

Lastly, the wallet part. Don’t worry, I didn’t forget. Sewed onto the back of the case is a small leather pouch that is designed to hold your credit cards, or ID, or transit cards, or what-have-you. Mujjo claims it can hold up to three, but I wouldn’t recommend more than two. Any more than two and it becomes pretty difficult to remove the cards. The cards fit in just perfectly and can be removed fairly easily and again it will get easier over time.

IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG

I normally get slightly nervous about using a wallet case because I’m always worried that I’m going to leave something important in my physical wallet that I will need. For the sake of this review, however, I forced myself to try it (you’re welcome). I put the one credit card i use 95% of the time and my ID in there and tried it out for a week or so. I am officially converted. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to carrying around a physical wallet. Now if you use multiple cards or get nervous about not having your insurance cards on you all the time, then this may not be as big of a benefit for you. But if you’re like me and really only use one or two cards most of the time, this case will make your life sooooooo much easier.

Conclusion - Almost a Perfect Ten

If you can’t tell already, I’m a huge fan of this case. The beautiful yet subtle olive color, the full grain, vegetable oil tanned leather, and the added wallet pouch all add up to a winning combination in my book. As great as this case is though, there’s still some shortcomings. The biggest one for me is the buttons. The buttons on the case are not nearly as rigid as I was hoping they would be, which sometimes makes it even more difficult to press that the actual button on the phone. I’m optimistic that this will get better over time but after the first week, that’s where it stands. Also, the cutout for the camera on the back is slightly off center and while certainly not a deal breaker, it’s still a bit annoying for my OCD. I honestly didn’t even notice it until a fellow reviewer pointed it out in their review, but now I can’t un-see it. Lastly, it’s a little pricey. At around $50, it’s not the cheapest case on the market but it is right on par with what Apple offers and this is a much better offering in my opinion. It may be a tad expensive but it is absolutely worth it.

IMG_0067.JPG

Mujjo offers this case in four great colors: Tan, Black, Grey, and Olive and while I can specifically testify to the others, if they’re done as well as the Olive is, they will look great. I absolutely have no trouble recommending this case, especially if you’re someone who likes to keep their wallet simple while on the go. Head right over here to grab yours.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent review, sir. If I was into cases for my iPhone, I'd be tempted to purchase the Mujjo leather wallet case....:cool:

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I ordered the non wallet version but got sent the wallet one by mistake, sent it back didn’t like the flap on the back, might be ok with cards in it but annoying without imo.
Wasn’t that impressed so haven’t ordered again.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Its a nice case and a good review, but for me a case that holds 2 cards isn't a wallet case at all. It needs to hold a lot more. I will say this is a good option for going out or weekend use for me but its doesn't have enough space.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR