Most underwhelming disappointing release ever

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
And there are Apple lovers who love Microsoft. I’m one. I know other Apple users who won’t touch a Mac or an iPad and spend their money on Surface tablets and won’t ever leave Microsoft computers.

The world isn’t black and white. The world is a whole lot of gray. The extremes and the assumptions are what get us in trouble.

Very true and, I will repeat, choices are a good thing for consumers.
I tried MS (Still have an Idol 4s) but ended up switching totally to Apple. The Surface line just didn’t fit well with my consumer needs. Business wise they are awesome. No one has yet (iPad Pro and Surface) built that devices that meets both consumer and enterprise very well.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I liked the energy and humor from the 2018 WWDC Keynote. I think modern technology is so good now, that it can sometimes be difficult to appreciate what an incremental or S release may bring. Not a negative statement about anyone, just an observation.

I'm from a generation that grew up when black and white TV and rotary phones were still in use, and card catalogs were a search engine for finding information. Relatively affordable (non-mainframe) based computers were just becoming available. The internet was there, but not for the average home.

We have it really good now, and its cool to see what each new product release (Apple's or any other technology company) brings.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Very true and, I will repeat, choices are a good thing for consumers.
I tried MS (Still have an Idol 4s) but ended up switching totally to Apple. The Surface line just didn’t fit well with my consumer needs. Business wise they are awesome. No one has yet (iPad Pro and Surface) built that devices that meets both consumer and enterprise very well.

The only thing the Surface is missing is mobile (UWP) apps. There is nothing about the hardware that doesn’t meet consumer needs, so it not about “building a device.”

It’s about getting developers to support an additional platform - the same reason the Surface is so successful in the business and enterprise niche. This grows increasingly difficult as the years pass.

All the iPad seems to be getting is more “me too creative apps,” while a lot of other markets aren’t seeing much development. This is inching off both devices when it comes to business/professional use.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The only thing the Surface is missing is mobile (UWP) apps. There is nothing about the hardware that doesn’t meet consumer needs, so it not about “building a device.”

It’s about getting developers to support an additional platform - the same reason the Surface is so successful in the business and enterprise niche. This grows increasingly difficult as the years pass.

All the iPad seems to be getting is more “me too creative apps,” while a lot of other markets aren’t seeing much development. This is inching off both devices when it comes to business/professional use.

Sorry if I was unclear; building a device to me is both about hardware and software. You need both to be successful.

As far as getting developers to support another platform, I totally agree. I’m just not sure that will happen anytime soon. They need assurance that the market will be there and MS has failed them too many times.

I do wonder where the iPad is heading. It is a great creative device but will it develop further? Seems the Apple Watch is the new focus. My iPad Pro fills all my personal needs at the moment so I’ll sit back and watch for now.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if I was unclear; building a device to me is both about hardware and software. You need both to be successful.

As far as getting developers to support another platform, I totally agree. I’m just not sure that will happen anytime soon. They need assurance that the market will be there and MS has failed them too many times.

I do wonder where the iPad is heading. It is a great creative device but will it develop further? Seems the Apple Watch is the new focus. My iPad Pro fills all my personal needs at the moment so I’ll sit back and watch for now.

Microsoft has the software. They aren’t going to solo-replicate all the top apps in the iOS App Store on their own.

They have built the platform. Developers need to build the apps.

You were crystal clear. I just think you are lumping too much responsibility on platform developers. Last time I checked, Microsoft’s services were pretty well accessible on Windows 10 in UWP form.

It’s third parties that have yet to move over.

iPad has the advantage that it was always a mobile tablet OS running device. As a result, people jumped on board early and developers never had to face the choice between a macOS or iOS application for that form factor. There was only one choice, and the economics made sense to jump on it.

Things are different in the Windows ecosystem, where most people aren’t using tablets and many of the apps that keep people on Windows simply do not scale down to Mobile well - or at all.

The only tablet I need is a Kindle Fire. If I were to buy one, it would be a surface largely because of Dartfish (not a UWP app, but being able to record from device straight into it is nice; without dragging a cart of equipment around everywhere). Mobile analysis apps perform badly and simply aren’t usable in any serious way.

And that’s exactly why Surface Pro/Book exists. For people like me, if we decide to care about the tablet form factor (currently, I don’t).

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Oooooh My. Remember how I said I had ordered a Galaxy Tab S4 from Samsung ? Well... they never mentioned that it was back ordered with no date of delivery but they took my money anyway.
When I tried to contact them I got bounced off voicemail to voicemail.
I wound up having to contact my bank to help me with the cancellation and refund, they were at it for an hour before they actually talked to someone. Unreal.
Sooooooo... my opinion on Samsung is still valid, lol. Never again.

Now if Apple could please get a new IPP out, I’d be stoked.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Enjoying my Note 9.

Actually surprised at how pleasant Samsungs ecosystem is turning out to be. Think I'm gonna buy a Samsung Watch in a couple of months.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm enjoying my Xs Max, and with that said I'm glad I skipped the X last year and got the form factor of the Max that I've been waiting for since Apple released its first large screen iPhone 6 Plus. To be honest my days of upgrading every year is behind me. Its seems that I appreciate the actual upgrade much more after two years.
In my opinion the Series 4 Apple Watch stole the show and I will be getting one of those as well...LOL.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
When thinking about it, I'm not sure if I was "underwhelmed". I just wasn't expecting much this year. It's kind of tough to top last years X. I wasn't expecting them to do anything overly impressive this year.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple cannot possibly be as exciting every year. I would hope they would have maximum excitement about every three years to give me and other non-wealthy customers the chance to enjoy the previous revolutions before obsoleting them.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I pray to god the only change we see from this phone for the foreseeable future is the reduction of the notch by possibly integrating all of the tech into one sensor. That’s it. The size, the dimensions, the feel is all perfect. I thought so of the X, and the Xs has a slight difference about its grip (I can’t quite figure it out since I usually use a case) that makes it better. I just want internal and technological improvements at this point. The only change, design wise, that I would welcome is a galaxy style wrap display. I’d love to be able to activate Siri and see appointments just on the edge of the display.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods