Most underwhelming disappointing release ever

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Disappointing :(

You’re going to spend another 1000 on a new phone just for 512GB storage? Crazy!

Well, I like to carry my media on my device. I always run out of room so there’s always something I have to delete to put something else in.
I was gong to buy an iPad just to be able to do that, my media and books. That would have meant I would have had to carry two devices, my phone and my iPad.

So what you see as crazy I see as something that’s convenient that I’ve been wanting for a very long time.

anon(6014961)

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Disappointing :(

Well, I like to carry my media on my device. I always run out of room so there’s always something I have to delete to put something else in.
I was gong to buy an iPad just to be able to do that, my media and books. That would have meant I would have had to carry two devices, my phone and my iPad.

So what you see as crazy I see as something that’s convenient that I’ve been wanting for a very long time.

512GB flash drives are around 50£/$. Save yourself some money.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Im looking at Android tablets and the offerings are frankly depressing.

I will readily admit, Android tablets are quite horrid. If you aren't looking at a Samsung or Pixel, your options, while numerous, are a joke. Taking the two I suggested....the Pixel is expensive, and Samsung software support for tablets is spotty.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
something revolutionary comes around

Going back over the past few years, the couple things I saw that in my opinion were truly revolutionary were the ZTE Axon M, and Project Ara (now defunct). The ZTE has a foldable display, and Project Ara was a modular phone, meaning individual components could be replaced easily, like the display, CPU, battery, etc.

The downside to both of these was they added bulk and thickness, something the consumer doesn't want.

Sadly, I think you are right in the idea that it's going to be a long time before we see a large leap in regard to innovation. In the interim, we are only going to see one thing go up; price. Power doesn't even seem to be going up at the same rate as price does.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree, this was as exciting as watching paint dry. A new collection of iPhones with specs that will appeal mostly to gamers, a new watch, but tablet users can go suck an egg, gotcha, Apple, and thanks for nothing.

Im kinda screwed because if I buy an iPad, I’m pretty sure that Apple will release a new iPad in 3 months. But I can’t wait 3 months because my existing iPad is basically an online book and not much else.
Im looking at Android tablets and the offerings are frankly depressing.

So again, I’m stuck doing everything on my phone except for reading.

I’m so sick of this marketing crap.

I read somewhere here on iMore in another thread, that there was one time where Apple announced new iPads in October. Rene Ritchie said on Twitter that "October is the next window"!

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I will readily admit, Android tablets are quite horrid. If you aren't looking at a Samsung or Pixel, your options, while numerous, are a joke. Taking the two I suggested....the Pixel is expensive, and Samsung software support for tablets is spotty.

Agreed. I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4... After swearing I’d never buy another Samsung product again, lol. I fully intend on getting a new IPP when they release it but I needed something to help me until then. Currently my IPP 9.7 is ... a book.

Still, I won’t be putting any banking or financial info on the Tab, I’m keeping all that on my iPhone X, but I need to be able to send and receive emails, surf the Net etc.

I’m actually looking forward to playing with an Android tablet, it’s been a while. I’m curious to see the improvements since the Note Pro 12.2. Since I am now retired and my phone works like a charm, I’m keeping all the important stuff there and I’ll enjoy a new toy while Apple decides whether to **** or get off the pot. Life is good

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere here on iMore in another thread, that there was one time where Apple announced new iPads in October. Rene Ritchie said on Twitter that "October is the next window"!

See??? As soon as I order an Android, word comes out about the iPad release lololol. Well, I fully plan on getting the next IPP. But for now I really needed a tablet that is a wee bit more than a book, lol.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
See??? As soon as I order an Android, word comes out about the iPad release lololol. Well, I fully plan on getting the next IPP. But for now I really needed a tablet that is a wee bit more than a book, lol.

I know :concern: And, it's not definitel, so you are really in limbo. Did you order an Android, or would one of the Kindle Fires work for you?

Last edited:

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
While not announced at this event (they were at WWDC), I think Siri Shortcuts and Suggestions are exciting new software features. Only about a week to wait for them now.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
1. Better CPU "The most advanced apple has ever built" - As if anyone expected them to come out with a weaker less advanced CPU.
Isn’t that their line every year?
Waterproof. Finally!
Finally, Android has had that for how many years now?
Dual SIM - Which only China gets the good version. eSIM?! Really?! I like the ability to swap my SIM card to a different phone whenever I want. Now, I will have to call my carrier and have them do it? Why do only the Chinese models get a true DUAL SIM?!
I agree, I hate the eSIM. I travel internationally a lot and it’s much easier to put my European SIM card in when I land compared to dealing with an eSIM.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Isn’t that their line every year?

Finally, Android has had that for how many years now?

I agree, I hate the eSIM. I travel internationally a lot and it’s much easier to put my European SIM card in when I land compared to dealing with an eSIM.

Well, I am in the same boat for the traveling, but it’s not as bad as you said. Your home sim in the USA would be the esim, and for traveling, you would put the foreign sim in the tray. I still prefer the freedom of a real sim. Reading articles today, they make it seem like the esim is a benefit over the physical sim, which is actually ridiculous.
I wonder if there is an easy way to buy the Chinese model assuming that’s the only difference. BTW it’s not only the Chinese model, there are a few countries I heard that will get it.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ooops... I didn't see your other post, you did order one. :D

Yes, I really couldn’t wait any longer: I know the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is a subpar tablet compared to the IPP, but it’s better than a brick with words on it, which is what my IPP has become.

I also know that even if Apple releases a new IPP just next month, I’ll be buying it, because let’s face it: IPP is just better... when it works

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I am in the same boat for the traveling, but it’s not as bad as you said. Your home sim in the USA would be the esim, and for traveling, you would put the foreign sim in the tray. I still prefer the freedom of a real sim. Reading articles today, they make it seem like the esim is a benefit over the physical sim, which is actually ridiculous.
I wonder if there is an easy way to buy the Chinese model assuming that’s the only difference. BTW it’s not only the Chinese model, there are a few countries I heard that will get it.

I read it’s China, Hong Kong, and Macau, so it is essentially China. I don’t trust the eSIM to not activate while I am overseas so having a physical SIM is not only easier but a guaranteed way to not get roaming charges. I still don’t know how to activate the eSIM in my iPad Pro 9.7 but I am curious how to do it. I don’t see how an eSIM is a benefit unless one is an apple fanboi. I wonder if there will be band differences with the dual-SIM Chinese model.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I mean, I paid $1,330 for my 512GB Note 9, but it has expandable storage (microSD) for up to 512GB, bringing the potential total storage to 1TB. And it has 8GB of RAM. Those two specs alone is worth the price. But I would never pay $1,449 for a 512GB device with only 4GB of RAM and no expandable storage.

I'm glad Apple has included 4x4 MIMO on their devices finally. But I wouldn't pay those ridiculously high prices for basically a bigger version of the X.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal