More iPhone Business Development From Apple

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Just got word that after Apple makes PUSH e-mail available through the .Mac subscription service, they will then enable extended M$ Exchange support.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Is there a technical advantage to having Exchange push? I access my work exchange server via IMAP already, and aside from instant messenger/beeper like behavior, does it somehow save power or lessen server polling?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Is there a technical advantage to having Exchange push? I access my work exchange server via IMAP already, and aside from instant messenger/beeper like behavior, does it somehow save power or lessen server polling?
No technical advantage what-so-ever. In fact, it is the most inefficient method today. Wastes more power than other instant email solutions and has far more server and client traffic than other solutions. THIS is the primary reason Apple chose not to fully support it out of the gate ? it kills battery life.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Thanks Archie. I'm not sure I need to have email pushed at me (with people expecting me to push it back just as instantly), especially if it's more resource intensive as well.

I currently have both Exchange and Gmail setup via IMAP and set to check "manually" and it suits me just fine.

(as an aside, from an IT perspective, I doubly dislike RIM's mail implementation -- anything added to the already monstrous Exchange server, and tied to a single-point-of-failure at RIM (witness the black-berry-out of months past) is beyond reckless as an enterprise solution IMHO).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox