Monitoring the Green Ring?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Frequently, I'm short of time and getting 30min of exercise is cutting it close for me. On occasion I've finished some walks at 35-40min only to find the recorded exercise time to be <30. Sometimes I can make it up later, others not a chance.

When using the Workout app, the Exercise ring or actual exercise time isn't shown. I can select the Activity Digital watch face but it disappears and goes back to the Workout app and that annoys me.

I'd like to just raise my Watch and see the status of either the green ring or the exercise time (like that shown in on the Activity Digital watch face. I've got a workaround, but that's not the same as seeing when I just raise my wrist.

I close the Move and Stand rings no problem and am not concerned with seeing them on the fly, just the Exercise ring. Is there something I'm missing?

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. Even when I walk for long distances I never seem to get my exercise minutes. Although recently( the past few days) my exercise minutes seem to be closer to what I get on my fitbit. I've had my watch a little over a month so I don't know if it takes that long to learn your activities and adjust accordingly.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The exercise ring is based off your heart rate. So if you’re don’t running a workout your heart rate needs to be elevated longer for it to register. If you start a workout, it will only take 30 minutes.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Fixed that for you. The problem is as I first mentioned— it doesn't always.

So back to my question— is there a way to see the green ring every time I raise my Watch, without some hoop or workaround.

Well, my post is correct. If you go to Workout on the Apple Watch and start one of them, the activity ring will close in 30 minutes. However, until watchOS 4 comes out, you will not be notified that it closed while you are doing the workout.

As far as seeing the ring, what do you want to see? Change a complication to Activity and you’ll see all three rings. If it’s a large complication you actually won’t get rings but you’ll get x/x for completion. The activity watchfaces have these built in. The Activity Digital watchface shows you rings and number. The Modular watchface can show you both if you want to use two of your complications for Activity, otherwise the small complications are just rings and the big complication is numbers.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
If I'm using Workout.app, the credit towards the green ring always matches the amount of time in the workout. If I'm just walking, they may not match (walking too slow, insufficient increase in heart rate). I don't know why your results would be different.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I get credit for every minute of workout when I'm running or doing something the elevates my heart rate but not for leisurely walks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR