MMS, AT&T, and the AT&T Facebook vacuum

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I love how AT&T puts themselves on Facebook to give us information about their products, but fails to let people know what they're plans are for MMS, why we have to wait until "later this summer" as reported at the WWDC (or "late summer" as is now being reported), why tethering is not supported, etc. In the meantime, they just leave consumers in a vacuum. We get little bits here and there about what they plan, but the details are left out and thus, we have lots of rumors flying around and we don't know which one to believe. They COULD let people know, but they choose not to. If it's because their network is just not ready, why not let us know. Instead we get BS about how the "MMS opt out has to be changed manually!!" Give me a friggin' break.

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
if the MMS has to be changed from opt out manually and they KNEW apple was including MMS in the 3.0 update why in the heck didn't AT&T take the neccesary precautions to make sure we had all this at launch? who in the heck runs that company? chickens?

Corrina

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
AMEN to both of those posts! They released 3.0 early anyway, and now it's buggy for most people. And it should never have been released without MMS support, considering that was a MAJOR upgrade for a lot of people, myself included. Almost makes me want to jailbreak my phone. Almost. lol

escapethematrix

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Best Point of the Day

I completely agree with that point. THANK YOU for pointing that out. Apple & AT&T have an exclusive agreement so you would think that they were communication long ago about this 3.0 update and the new iphone so why didn't AT&T plan ahead? So, the question is why did it happen?

I can think of a couple reasons:

1)Apple didn't really tell AT&T anything so they didn't know.
2)AT&T just doesn't care and figured they could worry about it later(because they are too busy rolling around in the cash we all send them for the privilege of having an iphone while everyone else has cheaper data plans.

Any other reasons?

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
if the MMS has to be changed from opt out manually and they KNEW apple was including MMS in the 3.0 update why in the heck didn't AT&T take the neccesary precautions to make sure we had all this at launch? who in the heck runs that company? chickens?

From what I understand they couldn't remove the MMS opt out before the OS 3.0 update (they actually added the MMS opt out, because it wasn't there several months ago or at least the last time I looked), because they needed to add it for some reason. I read an explanation of why they added it somewhere, but don't know the link or totally remember the explanation (probably because it sounded like BS to me). However, the "manual" removal reason sounds pretty hokey, since you'd think they'd have a script to do it automatically.

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
AMEN to both of those posts! They released 3.0 early anyway, and now it's buggy for most people. And it should never have been released without MMS support, considering that was a MAJOR upgrade for a lot of people, myself included. Almost makes me want to jailbreak my phone. Almost. lol

It does have MMS support, just not here in the good ol' USA!

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I completely agree with that point. THANK YOU for pointing that out. Apple & AT&T have an exclusive agreement so you would think that they were communication long ago about this 3.0 update and the new iphone so why didn't AT&T plan ahead? So, the question is why did it happen?

I can think of a couple reasons:

1)Apple didn't really tell AT&T anything so they didn't know.
2)AT&T just doesn't care and figured they could worry about it later(because they are too busy rolling around in the cash we all send them for the privilege of having an iphone while everyone else has cheaper data plans.

Any other reasons?

I wouldn't blame Apple too much. I think this is more an AT&T problem and probably the 2nd reason you give

IamGov#IM

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
I called into ATT today and spoke with the Apple "tech" rep. When I asked him if there was anyway to get MMS opened early on my phone he sort of laughed at me. Later I the developers 1-800 number and waited on hold way too long. The rep said sometime August since they wanted to make sure that all ATT customers got it at the same time rather than a rolling activation.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I called into ATT today and spoke with the Apple "tech" rep. When I asked him if there was anyway to get MMS opened early on my phone he sort of laughed at me. Later I the developers 1-800 number and waited on hold way too long. The rep said sometime August since they wanted to make sure that all ATT customers got it at the same time rather than a rolling activation.

I already have it. Yay!

shadowd7

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
MMS works there are work arounds for this, the way the work around is basically tricking the computers to think you have a regular phone, and activating MMS on that phone, b/c its not being stopped, by the iPhone or the Sim card, it Only AT&T!!,

so if the computers think you have a nokia or sony erricsson or something and they activate MMS on it, IT WILL WORK!!!!

SO DEFINITELY AT&T IS HOLDING BACK, MOST LIKELY money reasons or they just wont to hold off before getting that kind of server load on their systems, so in short BEING CHEAP!!