Mini-review: mophie juice pack air w/ wireless charging mounts for iPhone 7

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to overstate the difference that the battery always being there makes. My last battery case was a mophie juice pack air on the 3GS, and when I went to the iPhone 4 I decided at that time I'd rather get some universal battery packs and just rock the cable attachment. This was in two parts: I didn't want to have to buy another new battery case for every phone, and I felt like I could get a lot more bang for my buck paying less for a huge battery pack that had more mAh.

Over the years I've had about 5 or 6 battery packs, and up to 4 of them at one time. I have to admit, it was pretty sweet to take a trip to the middle of Nowhere, Canada, where there's no electricity, and have the best camera I'd ever owned last the whole week and take some of the most beautiful pictures I still cherish. All of those battery packs are now dead and/or gone except my mophie powerstation, which is a testament to their quality.

When I saw what mophie had done with their latest case, I figured it was time to give it a shot again and just have a big fat honking battery case--the next best thing to Apple making the phone thicker and filling the space with battery. I grabbed a promo code for 10% off and bundled it with 3 of the 4 wireless charging mounts. I decided to pass on the external battery pack, as I haven't had the need for a week's worth of power lately. Altogether $200, promo code included.

My top impression: I forgot to account for the convenience factor in that battery pack vs. battery case decision. With the external battery pack, I still had to manage the power situation as if I were tethered to a wall, it's just that the wall moved with me. Now, with the battery always there, I don't have to worry about battery life anymore. Don't have to remember to charge up the battery pack separately. I don't have to futz around with a brick in my pocket with a cable that comes undone when it gets tangled up in a doorknob.

This is my first time with wireless charging and I kinda like it. It makes a little bit of noise which doesn't bother me too much as I always have something going that drowns it out anyway. The desk mount is kinda wonky with the turning of the phone but I don't really mind that so much. The wireless charging mounts all have magnets to align it and keep it in place. I just...toss it up there. Don't have to fiddle with a cable (unless I want CarPlay).

I'm Twittering, Flipboarding, chatting, browsing, emailing very regularly throughout the day, often gaming, 5-6 hours is enough to kill the phone, usually, unless I've been gaming the whole time (then all bets are off--this powerhouse of a processor will burn through it in a couple hours).

The case has enough battery to get the phone from 20 to about 80-100 depending on what I'm doing when I switch it on. I can start the day with the phone and the battery pack fully charged and not have to plug in at all til I go to bed 12-16 hours later. I can even forget to charge all night, it'll still be fine, and I have ample opportunities throughout the next day to give it 20-30 minutes of charging every now and then to keep it alive.

I haven't had experience with other battery cases, so I'm not sure how much of this would also be applicable to them, but I feel like it's this combination of the always present battery pack plus the wireless charging with magnetic help that make for a really great experience. I'll still need a big honkin pocket brick for those times when I won't have a wall to plug into for a week, but that won't be for quite a while, and I think I'll get the wireless charging brick when that time comes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbiePilgrim