Might Buy a Mac Mini. Questions About Configuration

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
My Dell Demension 9200C desktop is about 5 years old and is begging to be replaced. 2.39 GHz, 3 GM Ram, 250 MB hard drive. I know that even base computers will be an upgrade over what I have. And now, it's time with me to go with all Apple products. Have had iPhones since they came out, iPad soon and now working on the desktop.

First option is a Mac Mini. Looking at options, would you go with a 2.5GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 with 8MB of RAM or a 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 with 4MB of RAM? I mainly use the computer for e-mail, surfing the web (maybe have 10-15 windows open), basic documents and some basic photo editing. Nothing to intense, no gaming or web design. Part of me thinks the 2.3 GHz with 4 MB would be a nice upgrade over what I have now. I like things to happen quickly without waiting so i usually look at faster is better but I'm also trying to get the most bang for the buck. Can't spend $ as freely as I used to years ago.

Next is the Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad. I've used both in the store. The Trackpad is different and interesting but it seemed like my hand got tired after awhile. Not like I could always rest it on a Mousepad. It was always up doing something. Feedback from users and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, the processor speed bump is negligible. The 2GB vs 4GB memory is significant for day to day use, but you can bump the memory all the way to 8GB for about $50-60... and the graphics card may/may not be a big deal... based on what you're going to use it for, the Intel graphics will do fine. So if it were me, I'd go with the $599 system and bump the memory myself.

The trackpad v mouse discussion is an interesting one. I use the trackpad on my MacBook, but I don't have one for my wife's iMac. However, the Magic Mouse has the added feature of functioning somewhat like a trackpad... meaning you can do simple scrolling by moving your fingers across the top of the mouse -- front to back to scroll up/down and left to right to scroll left/right. It's not as full function as trackpad, but it does come in handy at times.

Last edited:

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Looking at their site and doing more research, it looks like the 2.5 comes with a better graphics processor and 4MB. So far I've found 8MB of RAM for as low as $42.00.

Buying a computer is like optioning a car, a lot of things that you want and they add up quick. I've read reviews that the 5400RPM hard drive might be kind of sluggish. Of course that is in their testing. With what I use it for, I might not see it to be a big deal. Especially if I haven't used a 7200 to compare.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox