Messages on the Apple Watch

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Curious.

Does the Apple Watch add caller ID to messages? On the phone I can see who sent me the text but on the watch all I'm seeing is the phone number. I'm also seeing some phone numbers for incoming calls not tagged with caller ID.

Is it a bug? A setting I'm overlooking? Or just a feature Apple hasn't come up with?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
‘My’ Watch displays the names as they appear in my contact list when I send and receive phone calls, email and text messages and if I receive something from someone who is not in my contact list, it displays the phone number.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
From the Watch app on your iPhone, go to General, scroll to the bottom to Reset, then select Reset Sync Data. You won't see anything happen after that but your contacts info will sync behind the scenes.

However, if you're on any of the phone or watch betas, this is normal. One of the reasons I got off the betas.

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Still not seeing names on messages.
Went to settings, tapped the Reset Sync Data but it does not appear anything happened.
I also did a soft reset on the watch.

Is there any form of confirmation that things re-synced? Or does the reset button just flash and everything is done in the background?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Still not seeing names on messages.
Went to settings, tapped the Reset Sync Data but it does not appear anything happened.
I also did a soft reset on the watch.

Is there any form of confirmation that things re-synced? Or does the reset button just flash and everything is done in the background?

Nope. Once you press Reset Sync Data, nothing happens.

Have you power cycled both phone and watch?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Curious.

Does the Apple Watch add caller ID to messages? On the phone I can see who sent me the text but on the watch all I'm seeing is the phone number. I'm also seeing some phone numbers for incoming calls not tagged with caller ID.

Is it a bug? A setting I'm overlooking? Or just a feature Apple hasn't come up with?

Caller ID is really a phone company dependent feature. You may have to subscribe to that feature. iOS devices ordinarily pull from your Contacts the caller info that is displayed. The Apple Watch ordinarily will mirror your iPhone’s notifications with phone calls, unless you set it up differently.

This is from AT&T’s website: When receiving an incoming call on your wireless phone:
Calling Number Identification sends the caller's telephone number to your wireless phone.
If the caller's number is in your phone's address book, then Caller ID displays the contact name.
If there's no address book entry, then Caller ID displays the caller's number.

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Power cycled both the phone and the watch.
Then hit the reset sync in the app's settings.
Seems to have done the trick. Message received this morning had the ID and previous messages and calls had the ID.

Thanks for the help!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh