Message app problems

Lucas Verwey

May 17, 2015
Visit site
So I got problems with my message app on my 6-64gb. Started just about when I downloaded the 8.3 update. Did research on it and found there is always some kind of problems on simple app's when updates come out. Is that true?

I did go to the Apple Store and speak with a senior Apple tech. Answers I got was corrupt software and got a new phone. However, problems still exist. I am not into wiping my phone clean if a another update comes out and problem is fixed....I am sure you would all agree to this.

What are you all thinking with this problem and have you had it or do you have this similar issue?

PS never been a Samsung fan...but this is pushing me closer to being one 😕

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I got problems with my message app on my 6-64gb. Started just about when I downloaded the 8.3 update. Did research on it and found there is always some kind of problems on simple app's when updates come out. Is that true?

I did go to the Apple Store and speak with a senior Apple tech. Answers I got was corrupt software and got a new phone. However, problems still exist. I am not into wiping my phone clean if a another update comes out and problem is fixed....I am sure you would all agree to this.

What are you all thinking with this problem and have you had it or do you have this similar issue?

PS never been a Samsung fan...but this is pushing me closer to being one

Do you use 3rd party keyboards? Like SwiftKey or Swype? They can cause issues like the messages app freezing up. Sometimes the keyboard disappears. If that's not the problem, then tell us what it does.

Lucas Verwey

May 17, 2015
Visit site
No third party apps for messaging and keyboard for one.

Two, I have messages set to forever. I could delete messages before and they would vanish and everything be good. Then one day, I deleted messages and froze the phone up. I turned it off and all of the messages came back.

Now, I've tried everything and nothing has worked. What do you guys think?

PS- when I mean everything, I truly mean everything except starting as factory fresh phone...which I am not doing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No third party apps for messaging and keyboard for one.

Two, I have messages set to forever. I could delete messages before and they would vanish and everything be good. Then one day, I deleted messages and froze the phone up. I turned it off and all of the messages came back.

Now, I've tried everything and nothing has worked. What do you guys think?

PS- when I mean everything, I truly mean everything except starting as factory fresh phone...which I am not doing.

Turn it off "forever". Set it to 1 year or 30 days.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. I mean, many of the problems people have after updating the iOS version are in regard to 3rd-party apps that haven't been updated to work properly with the newer iOS version.

I did go to the Apple Store and speak with a senior Apple tech. Answers I got was corrupt software and got a new phone. However, problems still exist.
Just because you got a replacement phone doesn't mean that the iOS version on it isn't also corrupted. It happens, especially if it was updated in a mass form.
I am not into wiping my phone clean if a another update comes out and problem is fixed....I am sure you would all agree to this.
No. I greatly disagree. At some point, some of us always do a clean install of the latest iOS version if only to get rid of old junk that may be still hanging around in bits and pieces.

I don't know what the problem is, but if it were me, I'd put the iPhone in DFU mode and have iTunes install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version. Afterwards, I would set it up as a new device and not from a backup just in case the problem lies with a corrupt setting. It can be an inconvenience, but on more occasions than I can count, the end results were well worth the time.

PS never been a Samsung fan...but this is pushing me closer to being one 
Go for it...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.... What do you guys think?

Then you might as well stop seeking assistance. What good is it if you're unwilling to do everything possible to get your device functioning as it should?

Lucas Verwey

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I see your point, however how it is convenient to start it as fresh...when everything has been done...as in 9/10 things has not worked, including what you have suggested with the iTunes and dfu(done at Apple Store). There is a lot of information stored on the phone and taking the risk of losing it to start fresh only to have same problem, not one I am willing to take. And also, did two separate back ups..the most recent one and also one when I first got my 6 in 11/14...the one in 14 did same things as most recent back up, which even astonished the genius tech.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What, exactly, would you lose? Just back up your photos to iTunes or cloud based apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. Then restore as new. If from iTunes you won't lose anything. If you restore as new from no back up, the only thing you might lose would be game progress and achievements in some games.

Lucas Verwey

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that option was presented also...however I have to not back up anything and start fresh, which I am not willing to do when I did research and saw that the message app bug could be fixed and away we go. I wish someone else had this issue so I don't feel like I am on the island of misfit toys

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that option was presented also...however I have to not back up anything and start fresh, which I am not willing to do when I did research and saw that the message app bug could be fixed and away we go. I wish someone else had this issue so I don't feel like I am on the island of misfit toys

You want the messages app bug?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I see your point, however how it is convenient to start it as fresh...when everything has been done...as in 9/10 things has not worked, including what you have suggested with the iTunes and dfu(done at Apple Store).
It isn't convenient. Troubleshooting a problem never is. Having said that, sometimes it takes several attempts of doing the same thing to get something fixed.
There is a lot of information stored on the phone and taking the risk of losing it to start fresh only to have same problem, not one I am willing to take.
I'm sorry, but I don't see the risk. Music, photos, documents and settings can all be backed up via iCloud and iTunes. Furthermore, you can offload that stuff onto your computer. Configured accounts can be reconfigured.
And also, did two separate back ups..the most recent one and also one when I first got my 6 in 11/14...the one in 14 did same things as most recent back up, which even astonished the genius tech.
If the problem resides in a corrupted setting, restoring as new after a fresh iOS install is the better choice because you are not restoring the problem that's contained in a backup.

Lucas Verwey

May 17, 2015
Visit site
So, with iOS 9 coming out soon...with that whole new operating system it could potentially take care of this problem since its downloading a new whole ball game or will the problem still persist?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro