Memory lost after watching streaming iTunes movie.

Suwong

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I watched a HD movie which I purchased from iTunes store by streaming. I lost 3 GB of memory after watching and the memory has not returned to my storage. How can I get it back?

# I use iPad 3 with iOS 7.0.4

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Reboot the device... If still there after that, you can delete it via the videos app... Locate it and left-swipe it in the list... Tap delete...

Suwong

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Can not delete it in video app then I decide to download the movie. Once download completed, I'll try to delete it. Will see..

jhc1187

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have this exact issue, not just with movies from itunes but tv shows too and only when you stream... I thought the purpose of streaming was so that you didn't have to devote memory to streaming!

I did research on google but didn't find a real answer so hopefully someone here knows a workaround!

I tried downloading a movie after I lost memory streaming as well... I lost double space then... Sure I could swipe to delete at that point but the original memory space lost from streaming it remained...

jhc1187

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Yea hard boot didn't work several more times... The cleaner apps don't recover it either... I know a back up and restore DOES work but I don't want to have to do that timely process every time ... There must be a better way... Or Apple needs to come up with an update to fix the glitch

Suwong

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just bought iPad Air last week then I gave iPad 3 to my sister.

I did erase all contents and settings before handing it over to my sis. The lost memory is back!

Steaming iTunes movie through the iPad or even iPhone is not recommended until Apple solves the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

bjornte

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Worked for me (iPad Air, iOS 7.1.1):
Either solution below works. I prefer the first because even though it is cumbersome, the latter involves loss of all data on the device.

• Reopen the video, skip to the end of the video and let it play all the way out. (thanks to user rlmonera on the Apple Support Communities)
  • Restore device to factory settings. Removes everything on the device. (pointed out by user Jefferson590 et al)

Did not work for me:

• Update to iOS 7.1 (jfaughnan)
  • Sign out of Apple ID then sign back in. (Kristen240)
  • In Settings, turn off "Show All Videos". Then go to the Videos app which shows expired iTunes Movie Rentals which immediately deletes itself (nathanjm)
  • In Settings ?> General ?> Usage, open the ?video? app, you can then swipe to delete the data/cache. (ashleyegret)
  • You can delete the streamed video by swiping left-right on the episode (mspears)
  • Delete the series at the top level under Videos (Tremolux)
  • Finally, as user riow pointed out, reboot (both normal and hard reset) is of no use.

Some more context. Below is my iPad's storage as reported by itself.
  • Model: iPad Air / 16 GB / iOS 7.1.1.
  • 12.8 GB of RAM reserved for apps & data.
  • 0 bytes is available.
  • Adding together all the apps' use (report available in Settings), the total is 3.6 GB ? only 28 % of the original 12.8 GB.
  • So there's 9.2 GB missing ? a whopping 72 % of the storage available for use.

Using rlmonera's tip (?Reopen the video, skip to the end of the video and let it play all the way out?) on a number of purchases, I reclaimed ~4 GB. However, I have purchased quite a lot of iTunes content, and it will be extremely time consuming to repeat for all iTunes items across all devices. Especially when iOS doesn't provide any clues as to which items have cache files associated with them.

Overall, my impression is that iTunes creates tons of garbage that is extremely well hidden and nearly impossible to remove, save for full factory resets.

And I assume Apple doesn't want us to do full factory resets on all devices on a regular basis just because we are loyal iTunes customers?

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. My solution has always been to do the factory reboot every few months after the memory depletes. I avoid streaming now when possible as the same problem occurs with music. Hopefully this glitch gets fixed soon. This used to bother me a lot but at least I know what the problem is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theREALtechdaddy

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Can download a small utility called "iBrowse." Plug device into Mac, open iBrowse and delete all the "CloudAssets" Works like a charm. There is a bug in the iBrowse software (for me at least) so you have to select and delete only two files at a time. Just an FYI if nobody knows about this utility yet.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
This has been going on since iOS 7. It don't stream movies or TV shows on any of my iOS devices anymore because of this. Kinda sucks but now I just download stuff that I've bought from iTunes so that it doesn't steal my memory😁

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW