MBPr won't restart after El Capitan update, just hangs

Wildoer

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
After looking for help here nothing helped me so I searched for answers myself and found a solution.
When trying to reboot nothing happened. When right clicking the finder symbol in the dock it said Finder couldn't quit and was stuck (I'm on a Swedish OSX but you know what I mean). I didn't know how to quit (not force reboot) Finder but found a way to add a Quit option in the Finder menu. This is my first post here so I was told that I'm not allowed to post links but google "How to create a 'Quit Finder' menu item" or something like that.

So after adding a Quit option for Finder I quit Finder and pressed Restart in App Store. This worked for me and I now have version 10.11.1 installed. Hope this helps! :)

Cheers!

Wildoer

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Just noticed that when trying to restart my Mac Finder it still doesn't work and when right clicking the Finder symbol in the dock it still says program doesn't answer (in Swedish for med though). BUT the workaround above did make it possible to update!

How do I report this bug that Finder don't quit when trying to reboot to Apple?

Matt Beauchamp Buck

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi - I am having the same problem. i I had my SSD replaced (as i thought this was the problem) and it's still happening.

I first got the problem on Yosemite, just the once, but it was fatal. Now it's followed me to El Capitan.

Any solves?

geovanny raposo

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Wildoer's solution worked for me!! I've had the same problems everyone else has in this thread:
  • Not able to shutdown, restart, or logoff
  • All programs quit, except for Finder
  • Finder shows "application not responding"
  • Only option is to force shutdown, but then you can't apply any updates

I've been wanting to update the OS X to El Capitan 10.11.2 for months now, but my retina macbook pro (mid 2012) would not shutdown properly. So I followed Wildoer's solution.

I did a google search for "How to create a 'Quit Finder' menu item" and followed the terminal instructions on the wikiHow site. Then I went to Finder and quit the application (you have to do this first because it didn't work for me after initiating the restart). After that, I went to the app store to install updates; everything shutdown quickly, and the loading bar for the installation showed up. I was so happy when I saw that, and the laptop restarted with no problems. The laptop updated to El Capitan 10.11.2.

Side note: After writing the code in terminal, I did get a error message (I forgot what it said), but the quit option still appeared for me in the Finder menu.

rosie9828

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problems listed here for this update. Have MBP mid-2012....clicked on restart WITHOUT logging is as suggested and the software finished updsting :):)

TyasJS

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
For what it's worth, I managed to work around this without a restore. To recap (in case I'm missing the point of this thread) I had downloaded the 10.11.1 update and all seemed normal. Until I hit 'restart.' Some windows closed, but no restart. Eventually did a hard shutdown and restart. Rinsed and repeated. Booted to the recovery volume and ran First Aid. No joy. Much cursing. Even tried booting into safe mode. Even less joy.

Did Yet Another Hard restart and when I got to the login screen I decided to see what happened if, rather than logging in, I just hit 'restart' there. It went directly to "Installing Update" (or whatever the wording is). The install proceeded and there was much rejoicing.

So what worked for me is not logging in, but restarting from the login screen. Since I have no idea what was actually going on I can't say this will work for anyone else, but it's worth a shot. Quicker than doing a Time Machine restore, anyway.

Thank you so much, man!! :D It worked! This has really been bugging me!

elliott ecton

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Follow these steps to create your own custom Shutdown and Reboot buttons that actually work:

1. Open up terminal
2. cd ~/Desktop
3. echo -e '#!/usr/bin/env bash\n\nsudo pkill Finder\nsudo shutdown -h now' > Shutdown
4. chmod 755 Shutdown

You will now have an icon on your desk called Shutdown that 'should' work every time. When you click it, it will open up terminal and ask you for your password, and then proceed to execute the script. You can also make another script called Reboot. Just follow the exact steps above, but replace 'sudo shutdown -h now' with 'sudo reboot' (you don't need the 'now'). You obviously will want to name the file something different as well. I recommend 'Reboot' ;)

Last edited:

skilletaudio

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
If you use Avid products you might try removing

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Avid CoreAudio.plugin/
or
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin/

this was the cause of three of our computers not shutting down after the El Capitain upgrade. After removing the first shutdown will require "sudo shutdown -r now" from the terminal or press and hold the power button. This solved the problem for all three computers for us.

Shmob

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. Migrated to a new MBP and whenever I try to restart/shut down/log out all the windows close, the menu bar and all the desktop icons disappear but the dock remains. I brought it to an Apple Store and was told that one of my apps must be the cause of it. I was advised to reinstall apps one by one and try shutting down after each installation.

I thought that was too tedious so I did what Wildoer said. It works, so now I always just 'quit finder' before shutting down.

dlcwaimea

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem--can't shutdown, restart, or logout. Everything closes except finder. Can't Relaunch finder. Frustrating! This work around helps! I'd like a logout desktop button too. What's the command for that? Thanks again!

Shazam73

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
**** Solution which worked for me after months of same problem. Apple support couldnt help me. They said it was a software conflict. I was about to format and fresh install and add every program back individually until I tried this:

System Preferences >User & Groups (unlock with pass) > Login Items >then remove all the items in the list and restart computer.

Such a simple solution...let me know if this works for you guys

cheers

artbywilliam

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Same things happening to me. Worked fine on my MacBook Pro 15", but my MacBook Air will not restart even after trying the above options. So frustrating.

boomtowntech

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by tom_streeter View Post
For what it's worth, I managed to work around this without a restore. To recap (in case I'm missing the point of this thread) I had downloaded the 10.11.1 update and all seemed normal. Until I hit 'restart.' Some windows closed, but no restart. Eventually did a hard shutdown and restart. Rinsed and repeated. Booted to the recovery volume and ran First Aid. No joy. Much cursing. Even tried booting into safe mode. Even less joy.

Did Yet Another Hard restart and when I got to the login screen I decided to see what happened if, rather than logging in, I just hit 'restart' there. It went directly to "Installing Update" (or whatever the wording is). The install proceeded and there was much rejoicing.

So what worked for me is not logging in, but restarting from the login screen. Since I have no idea what was actually going on I can't say this will work for anyone else, but it's worth a shot. Quicker than doing a Time Machine restore, anyway.

bingo.. worked for me also, right after I hit restart the updating software popped up. hopefully this upgrade will remove the 'can't restart' issue from the last one :)

boomtowntech

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site

yes, this worked for me, thanks

matthk

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Who bothers to write "I'm no having this issue"?
How the hell is that helpful - at all?
It's like jumping in on a diabetic forum and typing "I can eat as much ice cream as I like."
FFS. :mad: