MBP or MBPr 13-inch? Need Advice.

anon(1863217)

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
It?s time for me to get a new laptop. My HP is on its last leg and I finally want to make the transition to Apple. There 2 models I?ve been looking for he MBP 13-inch and the Retina version 13-inch. have a big price difference between them. Over $2000 on the retina is a little painful especially since the full spec MBP is about $1400 before taxes. I would use it mostly for school work, emails, watching videos, Chromecasting with Google Chrome and occasional picture and music editing. I do like to keep multiple tabs open at a time and I would need multi tasking without lagging. Below are the Specs I would choose between them and the price. I want it to last me quite a while (my HP is over 6 years old) that?s why I chose the high end specs. I just wanted people?s opinion to see which one I should get.

13-inch MacBook Pro
? 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
? 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM ? 2x4GB
? 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Price: $1,349.00 + Taxes

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
? 3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
? 16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
? 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Price: $2,199.00 + Taxes

Also, how reliable are the refurbished MacBook Pros from Apple? If that would lower the price of the Retina version I might lean toward that one. Thanks all!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Either one will work for you with what you do. The retina display is nice, but not needed. My biggest suggestion would be to upgrade to an SSD in the MBP. A 5400 is a very slow drive. As for refurbs, they are every bit as dependable as new. Plus you can save some money which will allow you to go with an SSD. Will it last you 6 or so years. Yes. I have a 2010 MBP that is still working as good as new since I upgraded the drive and RAM. And I expect to get at
least another year or two out of it.

Hope this info helps you with your decision.

anon(1863217)

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
The Retina display captivated me especially when putting both MBP side by side, but you might be right I might not need it. Thank you for the advice, I will go with the SSD. I might look more into the refurbished option, if the have a good deal I will take it and will give me extra money for a higher SSD and Apple Care as well. Thank you!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77