MbA Boot Issue

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a MbA (M1) 2020 model running Big Sur (11.7.4). It is booting to the Mac HD and Options icons instead of booting normally. I am guessing something happened to the OS therefore it can't load.

I have tried selecting Mac HD and safe boot but neither one seems to work.

When I select to reinstall Big Sur there isn't enough space to reinstall it.

How can I reinstall the OS without losing any data?

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I decided to erase Mac HD volume but not the Data volume. Unfortunately, I was still short about 5 gb of space therefore I wasn't able to reinstall Big Sur. I was hoping to preserve the Data volume since that is where the users files are but that didn't work out.

After that failed then I erased the whole thing and tried to reinstall Big Sur. I am not using any flash drives. So, after it finishes then it restarts but now I get a message "Unable to set startup disk. SDErrorDomain error 108)" which I am not sure what that means. I think, maybe sometime of hardware failure has occurred.

I am not sure how to fix it?

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
The resolution was I had to reinstall Big Sur twice in order to get it work. The first attempt I reinstalled Big Sur then I got that message about SD Error Domain.... then the second attempt it worked and the computer booted normally.

Now, the computer is working and was updated to Ventura.

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
So, I have another MbA (M1) 2020 that is not booting normally. This one is running Monterey 12.6.2 but I have to reinstall it.

Obviously, there isn't enough space to perform an in place installation so I have to erase the whole drive to start all over again.

I want to preserve the DATA volume since that holds the users files and information. How do I copy what is on this volume and restore the files once I get the computer back up and running again?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal