Maximun number of contacts on iPhone

Gary Mazo

iMore/Mobile Nations staff
Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
How many contacts do you have on your iPhone? I have seem some forum threads where users seem to feel they have maxed out the iPhone once they hit 3500 or so. I've seen other users claim they have 12,00 or more.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have 71. Why so little? Glad you didn't ask but I am pretending that you did. I am not a fan of meeting someone at a place, like a friends friend and they say well here's my number. No thanks. I remember I was a car meet and we were swapping car hoods and the guy is like...cool man here's my number for future meets. No thanks. I don't care to call or hear from you. Co-workers? No thanks for the most part.

I have a standard rule about contacts. If we text/talk every now and then....nope. The last person I added was after 4 months of evaluation on contact frequency. Even then, I forgot his name and had to ask him what it was. I just knew whenever contact came from area code 509, it was him.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
According to a simple Google search, the limit is defined by your host. If all your contact are on your iPhone only, you're not limited. MoMe had a limit. iCloud probably has a limit. And various Exchange servers definitely have limits.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
There is no limit as long as you have free space you can add contacts

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have all my contacts in my Gmail account and keep it synced so that if my phone getss clobbered or I replace it, they're already there. Iwent from a Droid to the 4s and it took seconds to update contacts. I also know of know limits with Gmail, but I've never had more than about 280 in it at one time.

james1955

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

im not sure there is a limit other than how much memory your phone has at the time your adding the contacts. i see ppl saying they heard of people adding 1200.

i run a business and i decided i wanted to add everyone to my business phone, ive only tried one run at this and i managed to upload 5000 contacts at once....... im aiming to upload 44'000 lol, but thought id do in small steps... the iPhone accepted the 5000 contacts, but it was more problematic than i imagined..

them being on your phone is no problem, it was more the process in which to add..... one site tells you to add a Vcard to upload, others say CSV.....

i tried uploading via itunes also without success..

in the end, i got my 5000 contacts, added them to my outlook contact book. next i used the icloud desktop app and told it to sync my outlook address book with my icloud. it then sync all the contacts into my icloud account. from here i just plugged the iPhone into my pc and clicked the sync button. JOB DONE......... bit of a messy process for something that's quite simple lol, but that's apple for you...

so to summarise:

1. create csv of your contacts
2. upload csv to outlook address book
3. download icloud desktop app
4 once you have all teh contacts in outlook, simply click sync button on icloud desktop app and itll copy all teh contacts across to icloud.
5. once in icloud, simply sync your phone with your pc.

note: make sure your iphone settings are set to use icloud and you have input the credentials via your phone settings.

to summarise, i believe the amount of contacts is based on your phones disk space..... i have 5000 so far and it dosent make a dent on my iphone 5 16gb :)

ill let you know if i maek the 44'000 mark lol... i work on that later now i know i can upload 5000

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

im not sure there is a limit other than how much memory your phone has at the time your adding the contacts. i see ppl saying they heard of people adding 1200.

i run a business and i decided i wanted to add everyone to my business phone, ive only tried one run at this and i managed to upload 5000 contacts at once....... im aiming to upload 44'000 lol, but thought id do in small steps... the iPhone accepted the 5000 contacts, but it was more problematic than i imagined..

them being on your phone is no problem, it was more the process in which to add..... one site tells you to add a Vcard to upload, others say CSV.....

i tried uploading via itunes also without success..

in the end, i got my 5000 contacts, added them to my outlook contact book. next i used the icloud desktop app and told it to sync my outlook address book with my icloud. it then sync all the contacts into my icloud account. from here i just plugged the iPhone into my pc and clicked the sync button. JOB DONE......... bit of a messy process for something that's quite simple lol, but that's apple for you...

so to summarise:

1. create csv of your contacts
2. upload csv to outlook address book
3. download icloud desktop app
4 once you have all teh contacts in outlook, simply click sync button on icloud desktop app and itll copy all teh contacts across to icloud.
5. once in icloud, simply sync your phone with your pc.

note: make sure your iphone settings are set to use icloud and you have input the credentials via your phone settings.

to summarise, i believe the amount of contacts is based on your phones disk space..... i have 5000 so far and it dosent make a dent on my iphone 5 16gb :)

ill let you know if i maek the 44'000 mark lol... i work on that later now i know i can upload 5000

FYI: You replied to a thread that ceased to be active 2 years ago. Anyway, in regard to iCloud, the limitations can be found via the following link

iCloud: Limits for Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen