Mavericks reload

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I bjorked my re-image and now I only get the Apple logo when I reboot. The internet recovery isn't working. I keep getting errors like -4403. So my question is can I take my MBP and download Mavericks through the App Store and re image the MBA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
you can make a bootable USB stick out of Mavericks. you will need at least an 8GB USB stick. use your other computer to download Mavericks from the app store. format your USB, leave its name as "untitled". open terminal and paste the following command at the prompt.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

once the computer is done writing the stick, stick it in your MBA usb slot and reboot while holding the options key. this should run the installer and allow you to reinstall the OS.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Could you try reimage the MBP with the original OS X image? I'm assuming it came with a non-Mavericks version. If your MBP has an internal DVD drive, then perhaps the original image will boot. Or if a SuperDrive is available, that's an option. Then after reimaging, try updating to Mavericks.

This link indicates the -4403 error could be due to a firewall blocking the port that the Internet Restore process uses. Could be a false clue, but worth checking. Error -4403f Apple Mac Mini Internet Recovery Error | GalwayLand

Some other Apple options in the event they're feasible for your situation. Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is what my left panel looks like in Disk Utility on the dead-lined MBA:

251 GB APPLE SSD
Untitled

disk2
OS X Base System

Is the repair image on that disk 2?

I have two Macbooks: '13 MBA(bjorked at this point with no OS)~it started life with ML which I upgraded to Mavericks via the app store. I also have an late '13 MBP that came with Mavericks already installed.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Since I've not had to do this on my own MBP, don't want to guess and give you wrong info. But I think it's encouraging that you can see both disks in Disk Utility. I don't know if Apple puts down a separate Repair Partition on the Drive from which OS X boots.

Was the SSD drive installed recently? Perhaps the Mavericks installer tried to write out boot loader files and Mavericks there but ran into an issue, rendering the SSD unable to boot. But this is pure guessing on my part now.

If you have some warranty or Apple Care left it may be worth a call to Apple, or if you have an Apple Store nearby, then a trip there. Sorry I can't be of more help.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to erase my personal data and restore it to new for sale. During the process I erased the os completely. The MBP I transferred all my data to from the MBA. Can I make a time machine backup from the MBP and fix the MBA with it? I assume not since the two are physically different.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I see. Is the disk2 a DVD drive? Is it attached to your MBA? Now I think I understand correctly that the MBA only has one drive which is the 256GB SSD.

As for restoring a Time Machine backup from your MBP to your MBA, think that Time Machine backs up the OS, data, etc according to this Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac. Not sure if it will work (meaning I don't know if Time Machine has logic that checks for a different system). But it may be worth researching further before trying.

Another option is to try Internet Recovery again from another location as that may resolve the -4403 error, assuming its a firewall related problem.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
When I try Alt R I get an image of a blinking folder with an ? on it. When I try Cmd R I get the internet recovery which fails.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am going on holidays next month and will hit one up. Can I make a recovery disk if I have another MBA? My boss has one I just remembered.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Update: I got back to the desktop on the MBA using an TM backup from my MBP. So now I have two questions: how do I erase, without killing the OS, my personal data AND the MBA has no recovery partition, is there a way to fix that?

Thanks all for the help.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2