Masters Degrees

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I am crossposting this on other forums I participate in, so if you have already read this my apologies.

I am looking at going back to school and getting my Masters Degree. There are three degrees that interest me, and they are Masters of Business Administration, Masters of Science in Leadership and Masters of Science in Management. I have a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration and several years of management experience, and I was looking to build upon that but the other two degrees seemed interesting. I am familiar with MBA, but I haven't heard of MIL and MIM until recently. Can anyone provide any insight as to how they differ as I am only familiar with an MBA, but not MIL or MSM? All three are taught at an accredited university, so they are real degrees. Since the MBA is a popular choice will I be hurting myself by pursuing an MIL or MSM instead?

My biggest concern is that, while I don't want to get a degree in a saturated field, such as an MBA, I don't want to hurt myself by getting another degree which might not be as useful as an MBA. I have Googled this but the results I got really didn't address my questions or concerns. Hopefully people who are “in the know” can chime in here and give some real world input, thoughts and opinions.

Here are the programs and schools I have been looking at:
Masters of Business Administration at West Virginia University
Master of Science in Leadership at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Master of Science in Management at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Another recommendation was Master of Science in Project Management and I saw Embry Riddle Aeronautical University offers it.

Any input would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an MS in Project Management and a PMP certification. The degree wasn’t necessary but it helped me prepare for the PMP exam. Project Management is a good field because the principles can be used in various industries to manage projects.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have an MS in Project Management and a PMP certification. The degree wasn’t necessary but it helped me prepare for the PMP exam. Project Management is a good field because the principles can be used in various industries to manage projects.

Thanks for the quick and informative post @mumfoau! I glanced at the Masters of Science in Project Management at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University but for whatever reason never really gave it any consideration. You have changed that, so thank you! Regarding your PMP certification, did you do that through the school or somewhere else? If you did it online will you post a link? I like what you said about "Project Management is a good field because the principles can be used in various industries to manage projects" and that is what now has me adding an MS in Project Management to my list of degrees to choose from.

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Regarding your PMP certification, did you do that through the school or somewhere else? If you did it online will you post a link?

The PMP certification is through PMI (Project Management Institute). It’s an internationally known organization and the gold standard for all things project management. Now, to be a successful project manager, one doesn’t have to be PMP certified but a PMP certification could get you conversations with employers without having as much experience as a non-certified person might. If that makes sense.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The PMP certification is through PMI (Project Management Institute). It’s an internationally known organization and the gold standard for all things project management. Now, to be a successful project manager, one doesn’t have to be PMP certified but a PMP certification could get you conversations with employers without having as much experience as a non-certified person might. If that makes sense.

Thanks, I'll check it out! Are the exams proctored or is everything online? I am asking because I intend to work the additional schooling into my schedule.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll check it out! Are the exams proctored or is everything online? I am asking because I intend to work the additional schooling into my schedule.

The exam is online at a testing center. I think in some cases you can take a paper exam. It’s like 4 hrs.

Last edited:

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The exam is online at a testing center. I think I’m some cases you can take a paper exam. It’s like 4 hrs.

Thanks! That might not work around my schedule, but I will still look into it. Did you do Project Management prior to your degree and certification?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! That might not work around my schedule, but I will still look into it. Did you do Project Management prior to your degree and certification?

I’ve been on the more technical side as a Manufacturing Engineer the Design Engineer until now at my new job.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR