ManeSIM creates a new carrier tax on users

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
So with iPhone. 14 being eSIM only in the US Apple is costing customers a lot of money when they upgrade. You no longer can move your sim from phone to phone. Verizon doesn't support eSIM transfer so you will get billed $35 every time you want to upgrade your phone or switch between phones if you have more than one.

What are other US carriers doing are they making eSIM transfer easy? Should the FCC or FTC require carriers to support eSIM transfer? I think they should.

I had a 13 Pro Max and with the 14 Pro Max coming I had Verizon update my current SIM to eSIM and that was free. When I asked about eSIM transfer to my 14 Pro Max they said I had to pay an activation fee to register my new device ID. Funny when I moved my physical SIM I didn't need to do that. Why can’t I scan a QR code and be done? Easy it's about FREE MONEY! a

How many new iPhones will be activated on US carriers every year and we cannot escape the $35 tax that we did not have to pay when switching from one phone to another on the same carrier?

eSIM is nice but not urgent or necessary without consumer protections in place.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
So with iPhone. 14 being eSIM only in the US Apple is costing customers a lot of money when they upgrade. You no longer can move your sim from phone to phone. Verizon doesn't support eSIM transfer so you will get billed $35 every time you want to upgrade your phone or switch between phones if you have more than one.

What are other US carriers doing are they making eSIM transfer easy? Should the FCC or FTC require carriers to support eSIM transfer? I think they should.

I had a 13 Pro Max and with the 14 Pro Max coming I had Verizon update my current SIM to eSIM and that was free. When I asked about eSIM transfer to my 14 Pro Max they said I had to pay an activation fee to register my new device ID. Funny when I moved my physical SIM I didn't need to do that. Why can’t I scan a QR code and be done? Easy it's about FREE MONEY! a

How many new iPhones will be activated on US carriers every year and we cannot escape the $35 tax that we did not have to pay when switching from one phone to another on the same carrier?

That is not true. VZW will charge a $35 activation fee when you buy a phone from them, yes.
If you want to change devices you can do that on their website or the myverizon app by providing the ESIM IMEI. Works instantly and there is no cost.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is not true. VZW will charge a $35 activation fee when you buy a phone from them, yes.
If you want to change devices you can do that on their website or the myverizon app by providing the ESIM IMEI. Works instantly and there is no cost.
This is indeed true and I can attest to it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually going to send a letter to my US senators about it. As technology moves forward consumers should benefit not pay to prop up profits. T-mobile clearly lets you eSIM transfer based on a review feom 9to5Mac on YouTube he showed how he could so maybe AT&T doe it as well, looking for feedback from any users but Verizon stands to make a huge windfall plus they taxed me on the upgrade fee.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
This is indeed true and I can attest to it.

I switch phones all the time and have never incurred any charge from switching devices, including esim. Only activation fees from buying phones from VZW or adding a line.

Also, never have paid for a sim card when I needed it. They will overnight one.

Now if you are dealing with a non corporate store, things are different. I never deal with so-called "authorized resellers" as they set their own rules. Like charging $20 for SIM card.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I switch phones all the time and have never incurred any charge from switching devices, including esim. Only activation fees from buying phones from VZW or adding a line.

Also, never have paid for a sim card when I needed it. They will overnight one.

Now if you are dealing with a non corporate store, things are different. I never deal with so-called "authorized resellers" as they set their own rules. Like charging $20 for SIM card.
Like you, I’ve not been charged for switching sims or esim with Verizon. Heck, if they charge me to activate a new phone, I call them and let them know I’m not happy about it since I’ve been a Verizon customer for a very long time and they’ll typically end up waiving the fee.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Like you, I’ve not been charged for switching sims or esim with Verizon. Heck, if they charge me to activate a new phone, I call them and let them know I’m not happy about it since I’ve been a Verizon customer for a very long time and they’ll typically end up waiving the fee.

Agreed. The activation fee is a greed tax! At least when buying a car the price can be negotiated to counter other costs. ;)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I converted my 13 pro max sim to eSIM at no charge but I ordered my 14 pro max from apple and Verizon charged me a $35 new device fee when it was replacing my 13pro max.

According to their site, you can swap eSIM to another device as noted below. If it's a new device how can it have been used on your account previously? Seems contradictory. Either Activate a new or currently inactive device that was previously used either on your account or on another account. they charged me $35 plus tax and my 15 pro max was from apple and apple had me pre-set my carrier info eliminating my ability to swap at Verizon's site.

"Activate a new or currently inactive device that was previously used either on your account or on another account."

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I converted my 13 pro max sim to eSIM at no charge but I ordered my 14 pro max from apple and Verizon charged me a $35 new device fee when it was replacing my 13pro max.

According to their site, you can swap eSIM to another device as noted below. If it's a new device how can it have been used on your account previously? Seems contradictory. Either Activate a new or currently inactive device that was previously used either on your account or on another account. they charged me $35 plus tax and my 15 pro max was from apple and apple had me pre-set my carrier info eliminating my ability to swap at Verizon's site.

"Activate a new or currently inactive device that was previously used either on your account or on another account."

“New” in this context just means Verizon hasn’t seen it on their network before, which typically means fresh out of the box but could also be any older device that has the necessary bands to use on various carriers. If it’s an older device of yours or has been used by a Verizon customer before you it’s the other option.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Even if it's never been used on the network, if it passes the network validation check, it will activate either with a VZW sim or esim setup.
Apple devices always are no issue. Samsung devices, OTOH, have trouble frequently requiring support intervention. My Fold4 was a nightmare to get activated. Easily spent a week and a half between chat sessions and phone calls but it was finally working on esim. My unlocked Pixel 6 Pro was easy too. One thing's for sure with the trend going forward with future devices being esim only, the carriers need to get their act together on this reducing frustration factor significantly.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’m switching to T Mobile when my new IPhone 14 PM arrives. FYI, they charged me a $35 activation fee. So I can attest that Verizon isn’t the only one charging the new activation fee.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I concur with those saying we don't have a conspiracy or controversy here. Beyond knowing it within the family - charges just for new activations - the department I manage has around 200 mobile devices of different types and carriers. We give a lot of support to around 100 staff with personal matters too. Some of the work stuff I mentioned are not just Verizon, and the employees we help have lots of carriers.

My only hope is the carriers can get staffing where it needs to be. This is phone upgrade season. It's been noticeable where carriers are short staffed and have reduced hours of service.

Travons

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I've always been surprised whenever its brought to my attention during switches but then I call and it gets waived.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

I am still missing your point or points here after several upgrades/swaps personally and at work. There are no feels any different than recent past years. Not one of the eSIM phones had any hiccups in the process vs my usually wasting time personally or via helping a staff or family member.

Please help me understand if I'm missing something here but that fresh experience is with personally owned and company owned devices. The new is superior in everyday - fewer problems and no fees.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
With tmobile if you ordered online there was no activation fee but now it $35 for everyone. With their low prices lock in for as long as you stay with them they need to find a new money source. I am paying $15 a line so don't mind paying the new fee at all.

x1sspic

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I am still missing your point or points here after several upgrades/swaps personally and at work. There are no feels any different than recent past years. Not one of the eSIM phones had any hiccups in the process vs my usually wasting time personally or via helping a staff or family member.

Please help me understand if I'm missing something here but that fresh experience is with personally owned and company owned devices. The new is superior in everyday - fewer problems and no fees.

Is this with Verizon? You can switch to /activate esim right on their website. .....if you are activating on an iphone... The following is right from Verizon website: "Android users only: To activate an Android eSIM on an existing line, you must speak to a Customer Service representative (don't use Chat)."

I have a few phones that I used to rotate through by just swapping the SIM card. Easy as pie. Since activating the iphone 14 pro max that I ordered from apple, I have not been able to activate an esim on an android device. I haven't had a chance to dig out an old sim card and see if I can activate the sim card through the website, then pop that into any of my android phones.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Is this with Verizon? You can switch to /activate esim right on their website. .....if you are activating on an iphone... The following is right from Verizon website: "Android users only: To activate an Android eSIM on an existing line, you must speak to a Customer Service representative (don't use Chat)."

I have a few phones that I used to rotate through by just swapping the SIM card. Easy as pie. Since activating the iphone 14 pro max that I ordered from apple, I have not been able to activate an esim on an android device. I haven't had a chance to dig out an old sim card and see if I can activate the sim card through the website, then pop that into any of my android phones.

Hello and welcome to iMore!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods