Question Malware Protection

Merlady

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Now that LockBit ransomware is now targeting Macs I’m thinking it’s time to get protection for my iMac. I would love some suggestions on the best products that provides protection without causing issues.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. LockBit on Mac doesn't even work yet and ransomware isn't targeting random people, they typically go after big fish who NEED to pay due to the critical nature of their data (large businesses, schools, etc). Along with the protections Apple already provides, they're kinda ahead of the game. If you feel as though you want something additional however, just grab the free BitDefender off the Mac App Store.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Now that LockBit ransomware is now targeting Macs I’m thinking it’s time to get protection for my iMac. I would love some suggestions on the best products that provides protection without causing issues.
Keep your software up to date. Apple is very good at patching vulnerabilities. Be careful what you click on. Don’t reuse passwords and make sure you have a backup.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
To the other posts, I would like to add that macOS has an embedded malware protection feature that's updated regularly. It's called Xprotect and it has been part of macOS since MacOS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in 2009.

It is far from perfect, but it does a sufficiently good enough job for me not to worry as long as I don't scavenge in the deep roots of the Web.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73