Magic Keyboard?

Graham Lee77

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I replaced my old iPad Pro 10.5 a few weeks ago with a new iPad Pro 12.9 4th Gen with the intention of getting the Magic Keyboard when it was available, but as that was going to be around May, I plumped for the Keyboard Folio case to maximise the iPad's use.

I have linked my Magic Mouse to the iPad, but I'll be honest I haven't used it that much as not a lot of apps support it at the moment.

So I'm really stuck on the fence between spending £350 on the Magic Keyboard or keeping the Folio keyboard for now and look again at a later date and sell the Folio Keyboard on on eBay or something.

I've tried looking on the net, but I can't seem to find any articles indicating current mouse/touchpad supporting apps on the iPad other than Apples productivity apps.

Thanks

minimejer05

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
If the current folio keyboard fits your needs, then by all means keep it. I had a folio keyboard on my last iPad and could not stand how it locked into place and how I couldn’t sit it on my lap. The new magic keyboard fits perfectly and I must say the keys are much more satisfying to type on. Pricey yes, but definitely a game changer for me.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So I'm really stuck on the fence between spending £350 on the Magic Keyboard or keeping the Folio keyboard for now and look again at a later date and sell the Folio Keyboard on on eBay or something.

I also had the 10.5 Pro with the Smart Keyboard. My Magic Keyboard arrived today (from Best Buy) for the 12.9 Gen 4 and I have to tell you, there’s NO comparison. I wanted a Pro for work because I can’t connect to just any old Wi-Fi with my laptop as I work with Non-public personal info. I really feel like, for me, I totally got my moneys worth. LOVE this keyboard! Edited to add that I’m typing this on my lap. The Smart Keyboard wasn’t nearly as stable for that.

Last edited:

jasonhb147

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I also had the 10.5 Pro with the Smart Keyboard. My Magic Keyboard arrived today (from Best Buy) for the 12.9 Gen 4 and I have to tell you, there’s NO comparison. I wanted a Pro for work because I can’t connect to just any old Wi-Fi with my laptop as I work with Non-public personal info. I really feel like, for me, I totally got my moneys worth. LOVE this keyboard! Edited to add that I’m typing this on my lap. The Smart Keyboard wasn’t nearly as stable for that.

Only just got my iPad Pro 4 12.9” and was on the fence about the magic keyboard. I had a moment of madness yesterday and went out and bought one and I am so impressed. Typing is a dream, the quality is fantastic and it is so well designed.

Is it perfect? No. Are there things I would change? Of course. Having said that, I think it is totally worth the money for the quality. The way it sits on your lap and is so well balanced make it so convenient to use. Great having backlit keys and the trackpad is really good as well.

My only gripes, it would be nice if it was a little lighter, but then it wouldn’t be as stable or feel as good, so that’s not a deal breaker. Portrait mode support would be nice and being able to fold 180 degrees to be able to use the iPad as a tablet without having to take it off the keyboard would be perfect, but again, I am happy to deal with those shortcomings for all the other positives.

Really find the USB-C connection on the side of it a great idea as well, that helps a lot as in my work, I have to use wired Ethernet a lot so I get both options.

Jason

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been drowning in projects since COVID hit and working 12/13 hours a day. Once things settle down a bit, I’m sure I’ll give in and get the new magic keyboard at some point. We’ll see.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Great having backlit keys and the trackpad is really good as well.

being able to fold 180 degrees to be able to use the iPad as a tablet without having to take it off the keyboard would be perfect

100%

It’s way more natural to use the trackpad than having to reach up from the other keyboard to move around.

I know what you mean about taking it off but, check out dbrand skins for the back of the iPad. I don’t mind taking it off now that I have one of them. Better grip!

jasonhb147

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
100%

It’s way more natural to use the trackpad than having to reach up from the other keyboard to move around.

I know what you mean about taking it off but, check out dbrand skins for the back of the iPad. I don’t mind taking it off now that I have one of them. Better grip!

I will have a look, thank you for the suggestion

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Update: I just returned home from Best Buy who had the Magic Keyboard in stock. The keys feel great to type on, but typing is a little noisy. I love the backlighting, it feel stable on my lap and the quality is good, but the selling price should not have exceeded $279, in my opinion. Still, I’m pleased with my purchase and I don’t regret getting it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73