Mag safe pros and cons

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Pro: convenience, also charges my AirPod Pros.
Con: slower charge

I decided to get Apple's MagSafe charger because I was intrigued, and I guess somewhat OCD about buying Apple Products. I would not use it as my primary charger, but it's nice to have on my nightstand.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Big con: it’s worse for battery health. MagSafe is much less efficient than wired charging and generates more heat, and heating a battery pack while it charges is definitely not good for long-term health.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Always wanted to try it but usually use a case that doesn’t allow use of mag safe. Just ordered a leather Apple case to try it out this time so I can see what the hype s about.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I've been watching some Mobile Reviews Eh vids on YouTube the last few days and now I'm kinda regretting not buying the MagSafe compatible version of the Mous clear case I pre-ordered. Guess I'll just have to get another case for use with that stuff as now I'm sort of interested in picking up some stuff. I haven't used it yet since I was coming from an 11 Pro Max so I had nothing that could utilize it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Big con: it’s worse for battery health. MagSafe is much less efficient than wired charging and generates more heat, and heating a battery pack while it charges is definitely not good for long-term health.

How much hotter does it get than regular Qi fast wireless charging? We have a couple Anker and I think a Mophie fast wireless chargers that we've used for a few years now (the Mophie is that black puck that Apple first sold when they started supporting it). Probably 85% of the time my last two phones have been wirelessly charged with those and after 2 years still had at least 95% battery health.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
How much hotter does it get than regular Qi fast wireless charging? We have a couple Anker and I think a Mophie fast wireless chargers that we've used for a few years now (the Mophie is that black puck that Apple first sold when they started supporting it). Probably 85% of the time my last two phones have been wirelessly charged with those and after 2 years still had at least 95% battery health.

It’s a little warmer than using a wired 20w wort, but also depends on how it’s used - charge it face down and it’ll dissipate heat better. If the puck is sandwiched between the phone and a surface it’ll be more interesting noticeable but not alarmingly so.

As far as more or less heat than a regular Qi charger I can’t say, mine is a Samsung unit with a fan base.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

False. I used MagSafe to exclusively charge the battery on my 12 Pro Max and the battery was still at 100% capacity after 8 months. The MagSafe charging puck only charges at 15W max. Also, if the phone gets too hot while charging, software in the puck and on your iPhone will limit the charging speed above 80% to preserve the life of the battery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211829

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Unless you plan to keep your iPhone for more than 2 years why stress over it.

I used to worry about the little thing, remember looking for Dead Pixels? lol Even some of iPhone forums, it seem some are nitpicking with Yellow Tints, etc.

I have the Apple MagSafe charger and barely used it that I gave it to my cousin. She loves it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Unless you plan to keep your iPhone for more than 2 years why stress over it.

As it turns out, I do. (My iPhone X is now 3.5 years old.) I was planning to get the iPhone 12 last year, but wasn't wild about the battery life and didn't need the better cameras for anything during COVID-19, so I waited until this year. If I can wait three years for my next phone, that would be great.

Plus I live in a place with absolutely crappy cell signal, so my battery definitely takes a hit. I do try to keep health as high as I can keep it. And I just don't see the advantage of Qi/MagSafe over plugging in besides the simplicity of starting the charge (though I will say that I am glad that it exists as it would allow charging if the lightning port gets damaged.)

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Picked up the apple leather case and mag safe pop scoket and both work well. I was always concerned with protection but with apple care I will stay with the leather case and not worry if I have a major drop incendent.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you need a special case to use Magsafe or will any case do since they have the magnets on the back

I had a el cheapo case which wasn’t compatible with the MagSafe. I ended up cutting a hole in it the size of the MagSafe puck in order for it to charge.
This also helps putting the phone on the MagSafe easier
f902620527a275e123167385e924e426.jpg

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a el cheapo case which wasn’t compatible with the MagSafe. I ended up cutting a hole in it the size of the MagSafe puck in order for it to charge.
This also helps putting the phone on the MagSafe easier
f902620527a275e123167385e924e426.jpg

Oh man Yük

You turned your case into a Hole for the Glory of it all

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Biggest con for me is it definitely makes the wireless charging more finicky, meaning the vast majority of my Qi desk chargers refuse to charge both iPhone 12 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max with any kind of case. The puck works of course but is not as convenient. And the ones with stands are obscenely expensive!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I really do like my MagSafe charger. Last night, I had both my iPad and iPhone plugged in and need to charge my AirPods Pro case. I put it on to my MagSafe charger, and woke up this morning with three fully charged devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro