Macro focus questions

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand macro focus on my phone. How close can I get to a subject and still have it focus? As it stands now it seems to be 6 to 8 inches and I don't get the detail I am expecting. If I place my phone much closer and try to focus I can see the subject focus the shift out of focus immediately. It just doesn't seem right or is this how it is supposed to work? Is a replacement in order or am I doing it wrong?

Cubanjinx

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
It really all depends on how small the object is. I haven't really captured anything that small but have tried it just for detailed photos. Here a few showing details in some playing cards.

Reactions: ernbrdn

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Is there an icon or anything that shows up if your macro focus is working as intended? I still cannot seem to focus on anything that is less than 4 - 6 inches away and the detail is not what I have seen other places.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's really all in the pinch to zoom feature...an inch off this penny and you get this...

399278829.jpg

...but zoom into the range of the same size and you get this...

399278858.jpg

As you can see, the macro functionality is in the zoom, not in the distance in which the picture is taken physically...i had the phone probably 6 inches away.

Reactions: ernbrdn

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The damn picture orientation thing is still annoying...you'd think this would have been rectified by now.

It's wierd. It has been doing it since about beta 4 for me. They even responded with "this is a known issue" when I submitted a bug report ages ago. (assuming we are talking about the same bug).

My pic and vids show up upside down in Win 7 (when shot using the volume + button facing up).

If I play them in a video player they are correct, and if I open pics on photoshop or whatever, they show correctly. It's only in windows itself that they show upside down.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
WOW!!! Thank you for the simple explanation, I had even went to the Apple Genius Bar and they were unable to explain it to me, just said it was normal. I really wish some of this stuff was covered in the User Guide.

Thanks again..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
WOW!!! Thank you for the simple explanation, I had even went to the Apple Genius Bar and they were unable to explain it to me, just said it was normal. I really wish some of this stuff was covered in the User Guide.

Thanks again..

Not a problem...I've found that the Apple Genius Bar is good at one thing...replacing faulty/broken equipment. Their knowledge base outside of that is hit or miss, and like you, i went to the genius bar one day with my iPhone 4 wondering why i couldn't take clear "close up" (see: Macro) pictures (i tried to dumb it down tot them because when they hear "macro" they assume you think there's a separate feature for such).

I got no solution...and then i walked out of the Apple store, went to the food court, ordered a gyro and started messing with the zoom feature and realized that the quality was there...not in the physical placement of the phone during the actual picture taking.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro