Macbook Pro wireless issues

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
My friends Macbook Pro 13" from 2011 drops the wireless connection shortly after booting, and it won't reconnect until it's rebooted. This laptop still runs the ancient 10.7 for some reason.
Is there a way to check if this is hardware or software related? (besides reinstalling the OS)

I'm used to computer hardware but I haven't used MacOS for years. I'm trying to gather some info about this now, we don't live close to each other so I'd like to be prepared when we meet. I don't have access to the laptop now.

We'll probably upgrade it with an SSD and perform a clean OS install, and I'm trying to figure out if the WLAN card has to be replaced at the same time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My friends Macbook Pro 13" from 2011 drops the wireless connection shortly after booting, and it won't reconnect until it's rebooted. This laptop still runs the ancient 10.7 for some reason.
Is there a way to check if this is hardware or software related? (besides reinstalling the OS)

I'm used to computer hardware but I haven't used MacOS for years. I'm trying to gather some info about this now, we don't live close to each other so I'd like to be prepared when we meet. I don't have access to the laptop now.

We'll probably upgrade it with an SSD and perform a clean OS install, and I'm trying to figure out if the WLAN card has to be replaced at the same time.
I’m going to assume “wireless connection” in the manner you used it means Wi-Fi connections. If not, please verify. With that assumption, does it drop ALL Wi-Fi connections or just the connection to your Wi-Fi network?

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant Wifi when I said wireless and WLAN.

Yes, the connection drops regardless of which network I'm using.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant Wifi when I said wireless and WLAN.

Yes, the connection drops regardless of which network I'm using.
Hmmm. If it connects to the internet without a problem via LAN cable then try to check for possible system updates that may fix the problem, assuming you haven’t already.