MacBook Pro version vs. iMac ,et al...banging my head here-

Bobby McGee2

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Hello
I've been banging my head on the wall for days here... need to upgrade from my 2013 MacBook Air to a MacBook Pro and i'm unsure how powerful of a computer do I need to get. I'm not minting money but at the same time I do see the value in spending a little more-

I've been doing HD video editing on my MBA for a long time and it is slow. It runs hot and is not productive. The situation is that I only do either rough assemblies for long format (2 hour plus programs) or full editing for very short pieces such as 2 min SME talking sessions.

I appreciate the mobility of the laptop and I hope to move back abroad in a year, so the laptop is ideal. At the same time I'm very torn b/t the various other build options; such as GHz, RAM, graphics card.

I don't see myself using graphics, 4k workflows, or Aftereffects. i'm not a gamer. I also won't be doing the footage polishing and colorizing.

The following MBP specs seem to be the best available at present maket time...., but do I need to go that high in each area based on my requirements?

• 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 Dual-Core
• 16GB of 2133 MHz RAM | 1TB SSD
• Integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650

Can I not dial back these categories and still be in a situation where i'll be productive and not second-guessing my self for the add'l $1000...could be so much better. Such as 3.1GHz vs. 3.5GHz?

Current MBA config.

• 1.7 GHz, intel core i7
• 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
• 500GB storage
• Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Is the iMac really worth it regardless of my mobility desires?
Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've been debating myself on this subject for two weeks. it's time to move on it. Thanks,

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Whether a Windows, Linux, or MacOS laptop - I'd go with the most RAM, storage, and GPU possible. The 3.1GHz Core i7 is probably an option to keep cost lower such that you can invest that in the RAM, storage and GPU. Doing so will enable you to get a longer lifetime out of the system (so that it can handle future OS updates and apps as their resource requirements increase).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods