MacBook Pro not browsing only on Safari

lowlifeplayer

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

This is a repost of a question I placed. I had a thought that this forum would be better.

I have this weird thing happening and I cannot figure it out. When I try to use my MacBook Pro, it will lose internet connectivity if I try to browse in Safari. Interestingly if I use chrome, email, messages, etc, everything works as it should as long as I never touched Safari on a fresh reboot. Once I click on Safari and start browsing, the internet connection stalls in about 5 min. When I say stall I mean that it still looks like I am connected to the internet but nothing works that requires a connection.

If I try to change wifi sources such as hotspotting my iPad or phone, going to my work connection, it still does not work. Force quitting Safari does not work. I ran a time machine recovery that took it back to when I think is before this started to no avail. The only way to fix it is to reboot. I tried turning on/off the wifi. I also noted that it does not do this behavior if I boot into safe mode.

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

This is a repost of a question I placed. I had a thought that this forum would be better.

I have this weird thing happening and I cannot figure it out. When I try to use my MacBook Pro, it will lose internet connectivity if I try to browse in Safari. Interestingly if I use chrome, email, messages, etc, everything works as it should as long as I never touched Safari on a fresh reboot. Once I click on Safari and start browsing, the internet connection stalls in about 5 min. When I say stall I mean that it still looks like I am connected to the internet but nothing works that requires a connection.

If I try to change wifi sources such as hotspotting my iPad or phone, going to my work connection, it still does not work. Force quitting Safari does not work. I ran a time machine recovery that took it back to when I think is before this started to no avail. The only way to fix it is to reboot. I tried turning on/off the wifi. I also noted that it does not do this behavior if I boot into safe mode.

Thoughts?

Is there a firewall setting that could be blocking Safari from accessing the internet?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@Just_Me_D

Good thought

I do not see any setting that would do that. Is it possible to block just Safari? Also it for work for a few minutes, then it stops all access on all apps.

I’m not necessarily talking about a Mac Firewall setting, but one associated with your router. What’s bugging me is the fact that you don’t have a problem with it in safe mode. Either something's corrupted, intentionally blocking access or you have malware of some sort.

If it were me, I’d erase the hard drive and start from scratch, especially if you have a bootable flash drive to reinstall the OS.

Last edited:

lowlifeplayer

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I’m not necessarily talking about a Mac Firewall setting, but one associated with your router. What’s bugging me is the fact that you don’t have a problem with it in safe mode. Either something corrupted, intentionally blocking access or you have malware of some sort.

If it were me, I’d erase the hard drive and start from scratch, especially if you have a bootable flash drive to reinstall the OS.

I took a page from your book and went ahead and did a clean install. Everything works perfectly and I am pretty stoked with a clean operating system. Back in the good old days I used to clean install my operating systems every 6 months to a year. I hated the feeling of fragments of old software lingering.

Thanks a ton for your efforts

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I took a page from your book and went ahead and did a clean install. Everything works perfectly and I am pretty stoked with a clean operating system. Back in the good old days I used to clean install my operating systems every 6 months to a year. I hated the feeling of fragments of old software lingering.

Thanks a ton for your efforts

I still do a clean install of MacOS a couple times a year.......Anyway, I’m glad you got the issue resolved and thank you for the update.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods