MacBook durability

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a friend that has a MacBook Pro from 2011 and it still perfect. He's a student and a YouTuber and all of his work is done on this MacBook. So don't worry about the durability. It does worth the price you're paying. That's the same thing with the iPhones.

feedmylittletroll

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15 that still works gray and I've used it almost everyday for work. It's a work beast that's only being retired because I want a retina screen

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
The other factor that make Macs last is AppleCare. If during the first three years, you have any problems they will fix it. Super awesome phone support and if there is an Apple Store near, in person too. Getting a PC fixed in my community is more of an adventure. This support keep Macs running longer and better.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Our mid 2010 MBP just updated to Sierra and it actually runs smoother. Although booting up is a little slow. But, once up and running it does great...

Posted via the iMore App for Android

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
build wise, I think it's one of the best out there. can surely survived most "falls"

Even with a MagSafe, I've had my kids or friends happen to pull on the cord, sending it to the floor. Somehow, it survived without a ding. YMMV of course.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
MacBooks are the most durable laptops I've ever seen and I've ever used.
If you talk about light use it will last you for many years and it will still be good! Mostly you'll get tired of it in like 5 years and sell it (and even if it's 5 years old you'll make a good amount of money with it) and buy another one! The only thing you might have to exchange after a few years will be the battery. (After like 4-5 years, so don't worry!)

But in my experience they last a very very long time without any problems. OS X is pretty stable and beats Windows in many ways, IMO.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Bought my very first Macbook Pro in 2010 and lasted until 2015 as its hard drive gave way. This is with moderate daily usage.

After that purchased my second one in 2015 and still using it now.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Will be three years on Friday, February 17. Only used AppleCare once to replace the charger. I don't use the late 2013 15" rMBP that much since I've gotten the 12.9" iPad Pro the middle of December.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
How long will a MacBook Pro last with really light use?

A scary length of time. Macbook Pros are definitely built really well and are designed to last. I would say easy 5 years if you look after it. The hinge on my 2011 Macbook Pro is still quite stiff and i love it. :D

The one thing i would recommend is upgrading the RAM to 16GB. That will ensure it lasts. The OS is using more and more each day. If i didn't upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB 5 years ago, i wouldn't have enough right now since I'm using 6GB very often. :)

I have a friend that has a MacBook Pro from 2011 and it still perfect. He's a student and a YouTuber and all of his work is done on this MacBook. So don't worry about the durability. It does worth the price you're paying. That's the same thing with the iPhones.

Agreed. I still own and use my Macbook Pro for Late 2011 and it still runs absolutely perfectly. Does everything i need it to and battery still lasts around 3 hours hours, maybe a little less if your Skyping a friend. But its 5+ years old so i wouldn't expect the battery to last 7 hours like it used to :)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I really believe you get what you pay for. I also try to help my customers realize this when they are purchasing from me. It is a true old adage and even when it comes to tech gadgets. Apple...It just works and that is so very true. This is the first time ever that I don't have to worry about my battery life, my phone freezing up or lagging. My Mac Pro is fast and don't have to worry about my jet pack holding back on what I am doing when using my Mac Pro. It was bad when I can say my phone and my ipad and Mac Pro worked better than my HP laptop...and it isn't old.
I have "thrown" out good money over the years and am glad now I can say I am done. Happy and not looking back. I got my money's worth and yes, it is costly but peace of mind knowing I have great products that are not going to let me down.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR