MacBook Air Won't boot up

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So I got a friend who said he bought this MacBook Air from somebody on Craigslist. He says that it won't start up. I told him to bring it to me and I would check it out.

When you turn it on the chime sounds and the grey screen comes up. After a couple of seconds a flashing question mark inside a folder icon shows up. Nothing else happens, it just keeps flashing.

I shut it down by holding down the power button and turned it back on, this time holding down the Command and R key. After doing this a grey login screen comes up with a padlock and blank field for you to enter a password of some kind.

I asked him for the password and he says he doesn't know it.

Anybody got any advice as to how to proceed?

Sent from my iPhone 5C using iMore Forums app

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Have him make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store.

I told him to do this but he claims that since he doesn't have a receipt or invoice of some sort (proof of purchase), Apple won't help him. I told him it doesn't hurt to try.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I told him to do this but he claims that since he doesn't have a receipt or invoice of some sort (proof of purchase), Apple won't help him. I told him it doesn't hurt to try.

I agree, it doesn't hurt to try but for future reference..tell your friend to never buy electronics from anyone without a receipt & the original paperwork.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro