Mac Student Discount

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Last summer BestBuy offered the $100 off a MacBook Pro, Air or iMac for students. Anybody have any insite if this will be offered again this year? Was last year the first year for it?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
$150 off the retail price or $150 off their prices which are already lower?
Off the retail price if I am not mistaken but Apple.com also has a student pricing section where you put in your zip code and it will pull up a list of schools in your area that you can get a student discount anytime.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
$150 off the retail price or $150 off their prices which are already lower?

BestBuy was offering $150 off their going rate on all Macs... it was billed as a 2-day sale... not sure how long it will last... but this is different from the Back To School Discount/deal which is different from the Student Discount.

Retail store discounts are typically available from various brick/mortar stores and online retailers. Conditions and sale items are completely at the discretion of the retailer.

The Back to School deal is $100 iTunes gift card with the purchase of a qualifying Mac. This is only available from Apple.com, Apple retail stores and Apple phone sales. As Karen stated, it’s typically available in the mid- to late-summer months leading up to the "back to school" shopping season. It also may require a valid student ID.

The Student Pricing is a completely different pricing structure (basically $100 off qualifying Macs). This is only available from Apple.com, Apple retail stores, Apple phone sales, and qualifying university bookstores. In all cases is requires a valid college/university student ID *.

Typically, the two Apple deals (Back to School and Student Pricing) can be used together to score bigger savings. To my knowledge, the third party Apple retailers do not typically honor either discount.

* Apple will generally take your "word" that you are a student for either Apple.com or telephone sales. They typically do want to see a valid student ID in the Apple retail stores - at least that’s been my experience. And yes, I still have a valid university student ID... :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Buying through the education discount at Apple doesn't require you provide either student or faculty ID. It's a trust issue. The educational discounts are minimal though...but at least they're something.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping they bring back the BestBuy deal from last summer. I got a MacBook Pro for less than 1100. Stupidly I returned it and am looking for possiy another.

spark032207#WN

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Buying through the education discount at Apple doesn't require you provide either student or faculty ID. It's a trust issue. The educational discounts are minimal though...but at least they're something.

I picked my MBP up at an Apple Store (after ordering online), and they asked me to show a student ID. Wasn't asked when I bought my iPad. Strange, huh?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've seen them ask sometimes, but more often they just process the transaction and don't worry about it. It's hit or miss. If you're not a student and don't have your student ID, just skip trying to get the discount.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Funny story (some what relevant)...i went to the Apple store to get my first Macbook Pro back in 2008 i believe it was...and asked for the student discount, the lady that was ringing me up asked if i had my student ID on me and i said "Yup!" and flashed her my federal building clearance credentials i had just received the day before (it has a pic with a bunch of writing small on it) and she goes "Thanks!" and gave me the discount.

I felt bad for about 5sec. then realized i saved a decent little piece of change for no reason, lol.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My corporate discount is minimal on them. There isn't much in the way if discounts unless its on outgoing hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My corporate discount is minimal on them. There isn't much in the way if discounts unless its on outgoing hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

Typically the student discount on Macs is $100-$200 depending on the model/price point. My corporate discount rate is 8% and typically applies to all items. I’ve used it on an AppleTV and an Airport Express (each list price of $99), all the way up to my Mac Mini ($699). In Arizona, it’s almost covers the sales tax (8% discount vs 9.1% sales tax).

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I picked my MBP up at an Apple Store (after ordering online), and they asked me to show a student ID. Wasn't asked when I bought my iPad. Strange, huh?

Usually you can't even pick stuff up at the store when using your educational discount, so I'm doubly surprised.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Usually you can't even pick stuff up at the store when using your educational discount, so I'm doubly surprised.

Not sure what the OP or you mean by "picked up".

Two of my kids have purchased laptops (one MBP, one MBA) at my Apple store using my student ID. I also went with a friend to get a MBP for his son who was starting college, using his student ID. Just tell the sales person that you are a student and do the deed. In the stores they have always asked to see the ID card... though Sean's story made me chuckle...

I have not heard of anyone buying online for local pickup with a student discount, but it would seem to me to be a pretty straight forward transaction... I can’t imagine that it would be a hassle of any kind - in my experience, 99.9% of all transactions at the Apple store are straight forward and uneventful.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW