M2 MacBook Air

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Base model is the only one worth buying, soon as you go to 10/16/512 you can get a 14" for similar price here with the sales on.
Much better, bit bigger screen
real Ports
Great speakers
pro motion
can use multiple monitors

Thing is, I don't need any of that on a MacBook. USB ports are the same, and if I use one, it's a lot (I rarely have anything plugged in to my MBA). I never use an external monitor. I prefer smaller and lighter. But I do need more RAM and storage, and the MBA is cheaper than the 14" at the same config

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
If I’m buying a MacBook Air (very likely at this point), it will probably be the base with the 16GiB RAM upgrade.

I will be using less storage than on my equivalently spec’d MacBook Pro, because virtualization is not (really) a thing anymore for me.

Side note: they have put up an AR model of the laptop.
22c4777469acf966b3ddf5426e0de144.jpg

Base model is the only one worth buying, soon as you go to 10/16/512 you can get a 14" for similar price here with the sales on.
Much better, bit bigger screen
real Ports
Great speakers
pro motion
can use multiple monitors

I have a base air 2 preparing to ship.
Can you please clarify what you mean by “Real Ports”… If I remember properly, the only port difference between the MacBook Pro 14” and M2 MacBook Air is the HDMI port (edit: and the two additional USB4 ports).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Can you please clarify what you mean by “Real Ports”… If I remember properly, the only port difference between the MacBook Pro 14” and M2 MacBook Air is the HDMI port (edit: and the two additional USB4 ports).

I believe the 14" and 16" Pro also have an SD card slot, and one additional TB4/USB-C port. But the USB ports are the same technology (TB4 ports.) The speakers are also better (again, not a concern for me - I almost always keep the volume down and play music on my Sonos systems and watch video on either Apple TV or my iPad.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine this morning, delivering to my local Apple Store on August 9 (and, though I'm not counting on it, Apple usually delivers faster than originally promised for items that are backordered, so hopefully a little sooner than that.)

As I suspected, the computer was delivered to my local store yesterday (so, 12 days early.) Unfortunately, I’m 276 miles from the store right now, so I won’t get it until next week.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I had a MacBook Pro for over 8 yrs and I traded it towards my iMac 24 desktop. I missed having a desktop and I have the iPad Air 4 and love it. Lately I have been missing though a laptop computer and logically I don’t need it. I have my iMac and my ipad.
Right? LOL. But I was online and looking at the Apple Store and checked out the new MacBook Air M2. I could use my Apple Card for financing. But I didn’t make the purchase. I kept searching online and I found another retailer with better monthly financing on it and it was then I decided to pull the trigger. This was not a fleeting moment decision. I have been looking at for a long time.
And I loved the midnight color which is a magnet for all smudges and fingerprints. But I would case it.
TADA………I decided to order it and placed it on 11/06
Arrived yesterday. I got the 8 /512. Midnight color…..it is stunning
And my case arrived today.
It is awesome and glad I got it.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a MacBook Pro for over 8 yrs and I traded it towards my iMac 24 desktop. I missed having a desktop and I have the iPad Air 4 and love it. Lately I have been missing though a laptop computer and logically I don’t need it. I have my iMac and my ipad.
Right? LOL. But I was online and looking at the Apple Store and checked out the new MacBook Air M2. I could use my Apple Card for financing. But I didn’t make the purchase. I kept searching online and I found another retailer with better monthly financing on it and it was then I decided to pull the trigger. This was not a fleeting moment decision. I have been looking at for a long time.
And I loved the midnight color which is a magnet for all smudges and fingerprints. But I would case it.
TADA………I decided to order it and placed it on 11/06
Arrived yesterday. I got the 8 /512. Midnight color…..it is stunning
And my case arrived today.
It is awesome and glad I got it.
Congrats! :)

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

So... I have used my MacBook Air a little. And boy, is it so much snappier than my venerable MacBook Pro (late 2016).
The only things that I can't move to my MacBook Air are my pre-existing VMware Fusion VMs because they are Intel-based and need to be reinstalled for ARM, and Texas Instruments n-Spire CX CAS Student Software which says that the licence limit has been exceeded. Oh well, I guess I will keep both computers for a little while.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I bought me a well specced M2 Air with 1TB/16GB, for ~$2.000,-
This is outrageously expensive for an Air, and only –$300,- 'cheaper' than a M1 14" Pro (at the time of purchase).
But I wanted the thinnest & lightest Macbook, and it works perfectly for me - I have it with me all the time, almost everywhere I go (unlike my previous 14" or 16" Pro Macs - which I gave away for the Air, believe it or not).
No performance or overheating issues for my use cases (web browsing, streaming, writing, spreadsheets (for that I have an external monitor, a Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac and a external magic keyboard), some coding, very rarely video cutting (shorts only), photo editing etc. It's just perfect, and having all my stuff with me, all the time, feels very reassuring.

I'm still upset about the price, but what can you do if you want the lightest possible Mac with all the storage and RAM that's needed to get your workload done, on one only device, on the road, in the office or at home?

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
This is outrageously expensive for an Air, and only –$300,- 'cheaper' than a M1 14" Pro (at the time of purchase).
But I wanted the thinnest & lightest Macbook, and it works perfectly for me - I have it with me all the time, almost everywhere I go (unlike my previous 14" or 16" Pro Macs - which I gave away for the Air, believe it or not).
No performance or overheating issues for my use cases (web browsing, streaming, writing, spreadsheets (for that I have an external monitor, a Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac and a external magic keyboard), some coding, very rarely video cutting (shorts only), photo editing etc. It's just perfect, and having all my stuff with me, all the time, feels very reassuring.

I'm still upset about the price, but what can you do if you want the lightest possible Mac with all the storage and RAM that's needed to get your workload done, on one only device, on the road, in the office or at home?

Patience and watching SlickDeals is your only recourse. There will be sales. M3 13” and 15” MBA supposedly this year. That should drop the M2 MBA but it does require weeks or months of patience.
Apple refurb store: M2 MBA 16 GB, 1 TB, 10 GPU: $1709. Add in AC+ to make it $1938.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, mine was $1820. I just speced it out again, and it was $1800 (I added a high-end charger I think when I ordered mine - I don't think that the price has changed.) So it's more like a $400 difference.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Would that be with the 10-core GPU? That's the only way I can add up to around 2000USD.
Glad that your MacBook Air fits your needs.

Follow up on mine. I use it for most of my day-to-day activities. The only things that I cannot use on it are Intel VirtualBox/VMware Fusion VMs and the TI n-Spire software (licensing restrictions).

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Would that be with the 10-core GPU? That's the only way I can add up to around 2000USD.
Glad that your MacBook Air fits your needs.

Follow up on mine. I use it for most of my day-to-day activities. The only things that I cannot use on it are Intel VirtualBox/VMware Fusion VMs and the TI n-Spire software (licensing restrictions).
no it's the 8 core.
I'm in Europe where new Apple stuff is ~15% - 20% more expensive than in the US .
The 14" (M1) was only $300 more expensive (discounted by a few dealers) when I purchased the Air.
So actually not smart to not buy a 14" instead, but like I said, I wanted the thinnest and lightest computer, and there was - and still is - no other option in the Apple world. And thanks god it's totally sufficient for my needs, performance-wise, even with less cores.
But the price....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox