M2 MacBook Air

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tempted by the M2 MacBook Air?

Now that my 2016 MacBook Pro is going the way of the dodo bird, I'm really considering cross-grading to an Apple Silicon Mac, probably M2. At 1846$ (M2, 16GB, 256GB SSD) vs 1609$ (same but M1), I will have to take a good look at my options.

I will have to keep my 2016 Mac to virtualize Intel-based Windows 10 apps for some specific situations.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
The M based Air Series is going to be a pleasure despite possibly running into a couple of cross platform issues. It wouldn’t seem like this is a big deal but starting with no fan and very few times it even gets warm is a strikingly different user experience. Solid display, solid speakers and now the better camera. I think you’ll enjoy it quite a lot. Best of luck on the ultimate config choice.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Now that my 2016 MacBook Pro is going the way of the dodo bird, I'm really considering cross-grading to an Apple Silicon Mac, probably M2. At 1846$ (M2, 16GB, 256GB SSD) vs 1609$ (same but M1), I will have to take a good look at my options.

I will have to keep my 2016 Mac to virtualize Intel-based Windows 10 apps for some specific situations.

Knowing how fast and quiet my M1 Mac Mini is, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase one of the new MBAs, if I were in the market to purchase one. Fortunately, my employer provided me with an M1 MBP so I currently don’t have a need to purchase a Mac.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
The M2 MBA has peeked my interest since my 2017 MBP will more than likely be EOL next Fall 2023 but I’ll wait until then to see what to do.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Yes. I have been holding out on buying a new Air, based on rumors that this one was coming. I was hoping it'd be available this month, and who knows when it will actually be shipped, but I'm placing an order as soon as I can.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Right now, I’m leaning on ordering one… (here comes tons of overtime to pay for it).

Things would have been greatly different if we were in 2023, but we’re not. For my studies, I really need a more powerful computer than my 2016 MacBook Pro, so… I’m kind of stuck

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Just a suggestion, keep an eye on the Apple Refurbished store for M1 MBA. This is still an excellent laptop. I’m betting you’ll see offers for 799 refurbed. Imho the refurb store option is sweet. You still get the one year warranty, the 15 day return window, option to purchase AC+ option.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Me too nikkisharif. When announced I was soon checking what I could sell my M1 MBA for on the secondary market, trying to figure my net cost. But then I remembered that I will likely be a day one buyer of AirPods Pro 2, day 1 buyer of HomePod Gen 2 (2 of them), and a 14 pro max at Christmas time. Minimum 1900$ Coming this year. That’s it, My 2022 Apple budget is already spoken for. :) (The M1 MBA is a damn fine machine, it’ll do the trick until 2023/2024).

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a suggestion, keep an eye on the Apple Refurbished store for M1 MBA. This is still an excellent laptop. I’m betting you’ll see offers for 799 refurbed. Imho the refurb store option is sweet. You still get the one year warranty, the 15 day return window, option to purchase AC+ option.

I’m thinking of take advantage of the Back to School special and my University discount.

The consideration I have is that I want to keep it as long as possible, so M2 is the better way to go for that :)

Also, seems that some of the refurbished MBAs are more expensive?
1f8d52c2955a744e6fbf2321b50347f3.jpg

Reactions: Up_And_Away

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Getting the newest is completely understandable for several reasons. I’m guilty of it too :) especially if I can’t wait. If you can comfortably afford new, go for the M2 (or if you can wait, wait for it to hit refurb probably by Dec/Jan).
I bought my m1 MBA from the Apple refurb store in early-ish 2021 for 849, the base model. When I first saw the pic you posted, damn! what’s up with that. But I checked, the 1369 price is for the all in upgraded model: extra GPU, extra 8gb ram, 1TB drive. The base model is 8GB ram, 7 GPU, 256gb. That model is still 849 and it is available (see below). Note, the refurb store inventory and what’s offered can change daily, sometimes hourly. If you see something there you want to buy — specifically products that are not too old since their initial release — buy it. Fair chance it’ll be gone tomorrow, even a few hours later. BOL on the choice.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air#mn_p

“Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 7‑Core GPU - Silver
$849.00”

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Getting the newest is completely understandable for several reasons. I’m guilty of it too :) especially if I can’t wait. If you can comfortably afford new, go for the M2 (or if you can wait, wait for it to hit refurb probably by Dec/Jan).
I bought my m1 MBA from the Apple refurb store in early-ish 2021 for 849, the base model. When I first saw the pic you posted, damn! what’s up with that. But I checked, the 1369 price is for the all in upgraded model: extra GPU, extra 8gb ram, 1TB drive. The base model is 8GB ram, 7 GPU, 256gb. That model is still 849 and it is available (see below). Note, the refurb store inventory and what’s offered can change daily, sometimes hourly. If you see something there you want to buy — specifically products that are not too old since their initial release — buy it. Fair chance it’ll be gone tomorrow, even a few hours later. BOL on the choice.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air#mn_p

“Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 7‑Core GPU - Silver
$849.00”

Oh, the one I highlighted is not one that interests me
It’s more to confirm that they discounted the price by increasing it by 69$. Also, for the record, that’s the 8-core GPU, 8GB and 512GB SSD model.

I don’t expect to find a MacBook Air below 1000$ where I live, simply because of the currency conversion from USD and then 15% of sales taxes

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
The conversion rate, local availability and complexities are definitely a potential pitfall. USD against the basket (DXY) has been rising the past couple of month. Maybe that will give you some conversion relief...maybe. Otherwise, if the Apple Refurb store M1 MBA is not available to you or the $849 X whatever the conversion rate and local applicable taxes isn't ideal for you, you can go straight to the secondary market. That one requires a lot of patience to wait for the right deal but that can be a sweet deal. Otherwise the M2 at MSRP is all you got :). Best of luck either way.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The conversion rate, local availability and complexities are definitely a potential pitfall. USD against the basket (DXY) has been rising the past couple of month. Maybe that will give you some conversion relief...maybe. Otherwise, if the Apple Refurb store M1 MBA is not available to you or the $849 X whatever the conversion rate and local applicable taxes isn't ideal for you, you can go straight to the secondary market. That one requires a lot of patience to wait for the right deal but that can be a sweet deal. Otherwise the M2 at MSRP is all you got :). Best of luck either way.

Sadly, the conversion is going down (in other words, it's getting more expensive).

I'm pretty set on getting the M2 at Education MSRP, simply because I know it should last longer :)

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I’ve been into the Apple family for a number of years now and have an iPhone 12, iPhone XR, 2018 iPad Pro, 2021 iPad Pro M1 and Apple Watch series 6.
However up until now I’ve only gone the Microsoft route with my current laptop, so thought it finally time to invest fully as an Apple user and I’ve just placed an order for…..
MacBook Air M2, 8+10-core, 16Gb Ram, 512Gb storage, 67W Power Adaptor and AppleCare+.
So now I’ll have to gen up on the differences with the operating systems, and I’ll probably be back with many questions!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I have been holding out on buying a new Air, based on rumors that this one was coming. I was hoping it'd be available this month, and who knows when it will actually be shipped, but I'm placing an order as soon as I can.

I ordered mine this morning, delivering to my local Apple Store on August 9 (and, though I'm not counting on it, Apple usually delivers faster than originally promised for items that are backordered, so hopefully a little sooner than that.)

1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM. Should be a perfect upgrade from my 2015 MBA with 8 GB RAM, non-retina display, 512 GB SSD.

Reactions: Up_And_Away

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’m with you Modelflier. Until M1 came out, the last Mac I owned was around 2004. iPhone and iPad, I’m a long time user. But I Still had/have my 2019 Lenovo windows laptop and still think it is a good machine. But I made the splash on a M1 MBA at the Apple Refurb store early 2021. Forgetaboutit, it quickly became my hands down favorite (just wished it was a 15” screen for these old eyes). Just took some getting used to no right click.
I’d love to get the new M2 MBA but my Apple budget is spoken for: AirPods Pro 2, IPhone 14 Pro, and if rumors are true two HomePods Gen 2.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Base model is the only one worth buying, soon as you go to 10/16/512 you can get a 14" for similar price here with the sales on.
Much better, bit bigger screen
real Ports
Great speakers
pro motion
can use multiple monitors

I have a base air 2 preparing to ship.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member