M1 vs M1 Pro vs M1 Max Pro: Which suits, whom?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It's a very difficult question to answer, and it will depend for everyone.

Here's my attempt. Note that I have not researched these and I do make assumptions that might be false; they are however in the field of possible.

• M1: This is where you start and it should cover most needs.
  • M1 Pro: This is for those that do heavily parallelized tasks, like software development or video processing (let's say 1080p/4K SDR videos, daily)
  • M1 Max: This is the heavy-lifter for extremely parallelized workloads, like scientific modelling (e.g.: concrete bridge modelling simulations or weather model executions) and very heavy video processing (4K HDR for movies).

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's a very difficult question to answer, and it will depend for everyone.

Here's my attempt. Note that I have not researched these and I do make assumptions that might be false; they are however in the field of possible.

• M1: This is where you start and it should cover most needs.
  • M1 Pro: This is for those that do heavily parallelized tasks, like software development or video processing (let's say 1080p/4K SDR videos, daily)
  • M1 Max: This is the heavy-lifter for extremely parallelized workloads, like scientific modelling (e.g.: concrete bridge modelling simulations or weather model executions) and very heavy video processing (4K HDR for movies).

A good assessment. I've deployed several M1 Air now all keeping people very happy. My wife loves hers.

What I don't have answered personally relates to Parallels just announcing Windows VM support. I'm searching to know if a Pro series laptop makes a significant difference there.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
What I don't have answered personally relates to Parallels just announcing Windows VM support. I'm searching to know if a Pro series laptop makes a significant difference there.

I replied to your other thread on the subject.

A good assessment. I've deployed several M1 Air now all keeping people very happy. My wife loves hers.
You’re welcome!

Always good to hear that those computers answer the people’s needs nicely. (Side note: not an Apple employee here )

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
M1 pro is suitable for me. This has advanced features at an affordable price.

I got the 10 core Pro since my earlier post. It's great but I'm not so sure about affordable. The past two days had a table full of premium or first tier new and almost new portable computers. That also made an Air and Surface Laptop 4s look really good.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasseabdoulaye180