LTE Speed in Chicago? AT&T vs Verizon

hud

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I am looking to hear about the difference in AT&T and Verizon. Does anyone have any real time speeds in Chicago?

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Im in northwest chicago suburbs. I switched to verizon from sprint. I was disappointed to only see 7mbs on my first bandwidth test. Internet has been super snappy everytime and no signal issues yet. With the sprint overhaul going in i had to leave sprint. So far im glad i went with verizon. Time will tell how well the signal holds up. I never had any blank areas with sprint but its data speeds were horrible 50kbs!

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Re: LTE Speed in Chicago? AT&T vs Verizon

I switched from AT&T iphone 4s to Verizon iPhone 5 LTE. In the burb where I live (Downers Grove) I get pretty decent speeds (30 down) except at my house, but I have wifi so that is not an issue. Downtown is another story. i work at Madison/LaSalle and my spped tests all day have been horrendous - maybe 3-5 down). I would be very interested to see AT&T sppeds around this area and in the Loop. I went to the AT7T story on LaSalle/Wells this AM and they did not have the speedtest app on their IP5 and it would not let me d/l it to the phone. I recommended they add it on so people could gauge the spped and compare.

---------- Post Merged at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:47 PM ----------

If anyone upgraded to the IP5 on AT&T in the area, could you chime in? I am still debating returning my version and either staying with AT&T on my 4s or trying to get an IP5 on AT&T if speeds are comparable.

dcsr23#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
There really isn't a need to compare. First off Verizon's network has had a year to mature so you'll have more devices utilizing it. I think all that matters is you don't see any buffering, which you won't see regardless of 7Mbps or 51Mbps. The biggest concern should be coverage, which Verizon best everyone right now. AT&T's biggest advantage is that the drop to the backup HSPA+ network (where available) will not be as noticeable compared to Verizon's EVDO network. Going from a avg HSPA+ 7Mbps compared to Verizon's 1Mbps would feel like you were on dial-up modem when you've been so used to using LTE.