Looks like I may be going Android or iOS...

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, after much consideration, I may actually have to leave Windows Phone behind. With the addition of the virtual machine that aims to use Android apps on Windows RT and Windows Phone to close the app gap, I've lost a lot of love for Windows Phone. I'm not okay with Android quality apps mucking up my experience (Namely because of the drastic difference in user interface, not trying to start a debate about which phone has better apps, that could go on forever.) and I feel in doing so, they've eliminated a lot of the desire to build apps for Windows Phone. I mean, why build for Windows Phone if you could build for Android and have it run on Windows Phone? We wouldn't have our beautiful applications that we do today as a result and that ruins a lot of the point of Windows Phone for me.

Through time, I've felt that Windows Phone was the best OS. I mean, there's no denying I believe from any party that Nokia builds some premium hardware and they've always kept the OS fluid and responsive, even on processors that were seriously outdated upon release. It's maintained one of the best keyboards throughout Mobile History and with the introduction of WP 8.1 has arguably the best. As far as the OS goes as a stand alone, I don't feel it can be beat but I don't want to see it mucked up so much with Android apps.

So, at this point, I'm deciding between Android and iOS. Ultimately, it comes down to who has the best cards on the table with L and the new iOS version. Right now, I'm leaning towards iPhone becase I need high quality hardware but not so much so that I'm not to be swayed. I'll be taking a look at the LG G3 this Friday and I'll be waiting on the next big Motorola release. It's hard to find an Android OEM that's comparable to Nokia/RIM/Apple though so I'm hard pressed as to where to go from here.

Anyway, it's largely unimportant to most but I just thought I'd admit my defeat. I'm still of the opinion that Samsung is the worst company ever but ultimately, they're not the whole OS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, whatever you opt you get, get it because it is what's best for you, and don't waste your time being concerned about what anyone else thinks about it...:)

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, whatever you opt you get, get it because it is what's best for you, and don't waste your time being concerned about what anyone else thinks about it...:)

Haha... Windows Phone is what's best for me but I just can't deal with Android apps as substitutes and the fact that that'd virtually eliminate any reason to develop for Windows.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Deciding on an OS can be a tough decision, but I have some basics of both Android and iOS that might help :)

Android: I would recommend Android if you like huge amounts of customization and being able to tweak every little bit of the phone, and be in control of the whole thing. The app selection is pretty great, but there aren't as many quality apps in Google Play as the App Store. There are a huge range of devices to choose from with many manufacturers.

iOS: If you prefer something that is easy to use with a great UI, and you don't really care to customize a lot, iOS is for you. The app selection is great, and the choices of devices are low, but that simplifies choosing between tons of phones. A lot of services are nice, such as iCloud and Find My iPhone, which simplify the technical stuff and allow you to just use your phone. As many Apple fans say,"It just works".

I would choose Apple, but that's just me haha

Those are just a few quick tips, but I would definitely go to a store and use the devices and read some articles about both Android and iOS, which will help you choose one. Good luck! :)

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Deciding on an OS can be a tough decision, but I have some basics of both Android and iOS that might help :)

Android: I would recommend Android if you like huge amounts of customization and being able to tweak every little bit of the phone, and be in control of the whole thing. The app selection is pretty great, but there aren't as many quality apps in Google Play as the App Store. There are a huge range of devices to choose from with many manufacturers.

iOS: If you prefer something that is easy to use with a great UI, and you don't really care to customize a lot, iOS is for you. The app selection is great, and the choices of devices are low, but that simplifies choosing between tons of phones. A lot of services are nice, such as iCloud and Find My iPhone, which simplify the technical stuff and allow you to just use your phone. As many Apple fans say,"It just works".

I would choose Apple, but that's just me haha

Those are just a few quick tips, but I would definitely go to a store and use the devices and read some articles about both Android and iOS, which will help you choose one. Good luck! :)

I've had both devices recently and honestly, the only reason I couldn't use iOS was it's joke of a keyboard. Fortunately, that will be changing very soon.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I love Windows Phone 8.1, I do. However, I think they shot themselves in the foot by investing in an Android virtual machine to make it run Android apps.

I think lots of people will like that they are making a way to run android apps on WP.

sent from my iPhone 5

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think lots of people will like that they are making a way to run android apps on WP.

sent from my iPhone 5

A lot will. That said, Android apps are far less polished than Windows Phone apps and doing this will eliminate any desire anyone has to build apps for Windows Phone.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A lot will. That said, Android apps are far less polished than Windows Phone apps and doing this will eliminate any desire anyone has to build apps for Windows Phone.

Maybe. Really, I think the android thing was necessary to try and close the app gap. It was clear that the way they were doing it before was perhaps not working. I'd perhaps wait and see what happens. Honestly, getting android apps on WP would make WP more enticing because you get way more apps available to you. And WP could still have it's own advantages like cortana, better Microsoft service integration, office integration, and etc.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I run three platforms. There was a time when I thought I would never leave BlackBerry and saw iOS and Android as nice side devices to my BlackBerry. Through time, with BlackBerry devices bricking and leaving me stranded in the middle of the day (9900) and repeated OS flaws (rebooting and terrible battery life on the Z10 and double typing of letters and almost inexistent app library for my Q10) and Android's fragmentation of OS (I still can't get KitKat) I have turned to my iPhone as my daily driver.

AND.IT.IS.FLAWLESS.

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
If you want something that just works and will continue to work, go with the iPhone. You can still use iOS 7 on a phone that is long past it's shelf life. With Android, you're outdated in six months, for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. Really, I think the android thing was necessary to try and close the app gap. It was clear that the way they were doing it before was perhaps not working. I'd perhaps wait and see what happens. Honestly, getting android apps on WP would make WP more enticing because you get way more apps available to you. And WP could still have it's own advantages like cortana, better Microsoft service integration, office integration, and etc.
Android apps are of poor quality, ugly and ultimately, the fact that you can develop an Android app and have it play on both platforms will dissuade people from building Windows Phone apps which are much more polished. I went Windows Phone for the most polished experience and now they're doing this...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm waiting for WP 8.1. Whatever floats your boat.

I was very much leaning towards the Lumia 1520. However, now that I'm hearing about the use of Android apps, I am taking a step back. I will not use Android apps on a BlackBerry, and I would not use them on a Lumia. If this is the way both BlackBerry and Windows Phones are going then I'll be losing not only BlackBerry but also the possibility of trying a Lumia. The reliance on Android apps takes away the incentive for developers to create apps for BlackBerry and I fear the same would be true for Windows Phone. This practice serves to reduce competition and leaves us with two platforms, effectively. In my opinion, this is a dangerous practice since it limits competition. Competition spurs development. The customer loses.

If this is how Windows Phone is going, I would regretfully rethink my plans for a Lumia.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't knock it til you've tried it. Blackberry is nothing like it used to be, the BBOS 10 is awesome.

I find BB10 to be super confusing.... Like with iOS, all the apps are right there. and I know that If I open one, I can get back to where they all are by simply pressing the home button. but when I tried bb10 shortly after it came out, I couldn't figure it out at all!

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I find BB10 to be super confusing.... Like with iOS, all the apps are right there. and I know that If I open one, I can get back to where they all are by simply pressing the home button. but when I tried bb10 shortly after it came out, I couldn't figure it out at all!

Different strokes... it's all about personal preferences.
I have an iPad air if I really need the apps, otherwise my phone is purely for communication.
I love the security on BB, the keyboard, the Hub.
It's faster than Android or iPhone, gets connection when they can't, the battery life kicks ****.
It's got everything I want, nothing I don't.