Looking for Opinions/suggestions

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I'll preface this post by warning that I am not a technical person.....so apologies if my question is well below the normally accepted level of expertise for this forum.....

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15. I store a lot of music and photos on it. It's also used for home office stuff: docs, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.

I'm starting to get messages telling me my startup disk is full (or "almost full"). Is this due to the space being taken up by music files and photos?

It got me thinking about having some external storage and moving iTunes to an external drive that would be on my home network. Is that recommended? Would the music then be available to other devices on the network (my wife's iPad, for example)? Which external drive would be the most recommended?

I am using a Time Machine for back up and wireless printing.

Thanks in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is Time Machine keeping automatic backups on your startup disk? If so, you may want to move them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You sound fairly technical to me. I don't even currently have a working computer. I would think your music and photos would take some space, but that may not be the problem. It could be a number of things. But I'll leave that to the more technical members to discuss. I'm not as technical as you. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Is Time Machine keeping automatic backups on your startup disk? If so, you may want to move them.

Hmmm.....Don't know. I'll check. Does it do that as normal operation? How many do I need to keep? Where wouldl they move to?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

So no benefit pushing iTunes off the MacBook and using an external drive?

If you're referring to the iTunes "folder", I doubt it, but I don't know how much music, photos you have or the amount of hard drive storage space your computer has.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem I have a Mac Mini with a 250 Gig SSD as my start up Drive and 500 Gig SATA as a data drive. All my music, photos, data are now stored on the data drive. Just my music and photos are over 200 Gigs. I don't stream, but I'm sure it can be done. You would have to have your external drive portable if you want to bring you music and photos with you.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm revisitiing this again. There's some good suggestions here.

The portable drive is a good idea.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a drive that would sit on my home tetwork, but would also be portable enough to take with me if/when needed?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro