Long time android user - just got iphone 7plus need help

AxiosENT

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello all !

I'm a long time android user just turned in my note 7 =/ and decided to give the iphone7plus a go.
never really used ios other then some older ipod touches i had in the past so you could say im totally new to this.

i did read over the guide on the front page to get the basic apps i needed since im totally plugged into google so that was helpful. Now im needing some guidance on basic usage, tips, and tricks. its a nice sleek phone and should be fun to transition over.
My wife is getting hers later today so we'll mess with them together i just have a head start lol.

im sure the forum is gonna get spammed with ios noobs but anything and everything helps

thx

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

We are happy to help you with your transition to iOS so feel free to ask any questions you might need and I encourage you to look true all our Guides here on the forums as well as our iMore blog

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Here is a guide for iOS 10 by Apple that will be of great assistance to you. Plus feel free to ask any questions you may have on the forums. Many bright people here that can help you. Congrats on the new phone and enjoy using it.

AxiosENT

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
im pretty sure as far as my contacts i would need to input them manually? or is there a way to xfer them from my gmail acct?

AxiosENT

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Here is a guide for iOS 10 by Apple that will be of great assistance to you. Plus feel free to ask any questions you may have on the forums. Many bright people here that can help you. Congrats on the new phone and enjoy using it.

thank you will do. i heard ios10 brought some cool features so ill be sure to check it out

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
im pretty sure as far as my contacts i would need to input them manually? or is there a way to xfer them from my gmail acct?

I came from Google to iOS a year in December. When you get into your device and set it up, use the google option to upload your contacts. That's what I did. I use google for everything and I keep that eco system up to date. You'll see the options once you set it up.

Welcome to iPhone. Being an android user, immediately after the fail of my Palm, until last year, I have no regrets. You will love the OS, the hardware. (Just becareful not to offend Fan Boy/Girls. You get hurt like I did) :p

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Just setup GMail in the Mail Accounts section. This should also enable Google Calendar automatically. The iPhone can happily use Google for your contacts, calendars, notes, and email.

Since my Android days, I've maintained using Google for my contacts and calendar syncing in part because it's nigh-universal.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
One other tip, the Apple store gives free hour long workshops (classes) that can help teach you some of the basics of the iPhone and iOS 10. If you live close to an Apple store, you might check them out -- you can find the schedule and sign up [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fapple.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F473657%2F7613%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU2831820%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Ftoday%252F%26ourl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fretail%252Flearn%252F%253Fafid%253Dp239%25257C159229%2526cid%253Daos-us-aff-ir%2526subId1%253DUUimUvbUpU2831820%2526subId2%253Dvbim%2522&token=3qDrE_2V]here[/URL].

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
One other tip, the Apple store gives free hour long workshops (classes) that can help teach you some of the basics of the iPhone and iOS 10. If you live close to an Apple store, you might check them out -- you can find the schedule and sign up [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fapple.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F473657%2F7613%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU2832755%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Ftoday%252F%26ourl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fretail%252Flearn%252F%253Fafid%253Dp239%25257C159229%2526cid%253Daos-us-aff-ir%2526subId1%253DUUimUvbUpU2832755%2526subId2%253Dvbim%2522&token=QbDZ48I6]here[/URL].

I was just going to suggest this! I attended their workshop on iOS 10, and it was very helpful. They also have one called iPhone basics, and then Advanced iPhone. They are completely free, and you can attend them as often as you like. The other resources suggested here are really good, and people here are very helpful.

Good luck and welcome to iMore!

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I moved over also after being android user since 2009. Thought I'd give it a go for at least a year. But after experiencing this battery on the 7+, gonna be hard to switch back.

Google apps work just fine on the iPhone. Including calendar and contacts list through your gmail account. Just be on wifi and your list should populate faster.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I moved over also after being android user since 2009. Thought I'd give it a go for at least a year. But after experiencing this battery on the 7+, gonna be hard to switch back.

Google apps work just fine on the iPhone. Including calendar and contacts list through your gmail account. Just be on wifi and your list should populate faster.

I know Google wants to be everywhere regardless what device type one may use. Though you have to wonder in the coming years if Google will pull support if their own line takes off as an oem? Granted that would be years down the road to build a following of that sort. Sorry for the off topic post. Just thinking out loud.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I know Google wants to be everywhere regardless what device type one may use. Though you have to wonder in the coming years if Google will pull support if their own line takes off as an oem? Granted that would be years down the road to build a following of that sort. Sorry for the off topic post. Just thinking out loud.

I don't think there's much danger of that happening. Google was expanding their app offerings to iPhone even while the major US carriers were actively pushing various Android devices over all others.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think there's much danger of that happening. Google was expanding their app offerings to iPhone even while the major US carriers were actively pushing various Android devices over all others.

I've been a die-hard Android user since it's inception way back when... I have been through the rooting, modding and ROMing phases in the past. Thankfully the newest renditions of the Android OS have provided enough of the extra functionality that rooting afforded me that I don't have to root any more... For example, my Nexus 6p is practically perfect in the sense that I am not thinking, "man, I really need to root this to do x, you, or z...." it just works.

I have so always carried an iPhone for work.... I've had just about every iPhone generation since the original. I'll occasionally tinker with it, but really only use it to make calls and check work email.

That being said, this new iPhone 7 plus has REALLY caught my interest.... I'm so tempted to jump ship and get one to replace my daily driver Nexus 6p.

Thankfully, I have the luxury of installing my favorite android apps onto my work phone so I'm able to try them out in that ecosystem simultaneously. I'd rather go all in and try it as opposed to this method, though..

It's the small things that scare me, though... Fore example, I do a lot of pdf reading on my android device... I was pleasantly surprised to see how ios handled pdf viewing more fluidly and beauty hands android did, but then..... It all came to a halt when I realized that I couldn't even do simple tasks out of the box such as rotate the page in the pdf. I figured this feature would be baked in to the native pdf experience on Ios. Maybe I missed it....

Just sharing.... Help me switch! Haha. This is a cry for help.

Peace,

Matt!

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It's the small things that scare me, though... Fore example, I do a lot of pdf reading on my android device... I was pleasantly surprised to see how ios handled pdf viewing more fluidly and beauty hands android did, but then..... It all came to a halt when I realized that I couldn't even do simple tasks out of the box such as rotate the page in the pdf. I figured this feature would be baked in to the native pdf experience on Ios. Maybe I missed it....
Well, using your example here, the built-in rendering of PDF is pretty basic, at least when viewing attachments in email. You can install real PDF readers that also have some editing capabilities including page rotation.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, using your example here, the built-in rendering of PDF is pretty basic, at least when viewing attachments in email. You can install real PDF readers that also have some editing capabilities including page rotation.

OK, thanks. I also read that there are true file managers available now as well... For example, let's say I download an exe file and other non-native types of files from the Internet or an email. I can manipulate rename and attach those two other emails or share to whatever by going to the file manager. Is this correct?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, thanks. I also read that there are true file managers available now as well... For example, let's say I download an exe file and other non-native types of files from the Internet or an email. I can manipulate rename and attach those two other emails or share to whatever by going to the file manager. Is this correct?
I really can't comment on that as I've never tried. My email use on mobile doesn't include handling of such files.

I'll exchange documents of various types (Word, Excel, Powerpoint (occasionally), PDF, and image files. For those, I have MS Office apps (free on iOS!) and PDF Expert, and the built-in Photos app has so far met my needs there.

Handling event invites works better in iOS than Thunderbird on my desktop.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
In the App Store app on the iPhone, if you tap one of the buttons at the bottom 10 times, it will force refresh the store.

If you hold your finger on the home button for about 10 seconds, it will clear the RAM.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm. Shocked at how basic and clunky file managers are still on iOS. With Android I get full access to everything, just as in Windows Explorer.

With even the best file manager on ios, you get a folder of pictures, photos, some documents, and that's about it. Oh, and they all try to push WiFi transfer.

This is crippling to me, and may be what keeps me on Android... The adventure continues.