Locked out

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
There is a lady next door that was purchasing a iPhone 13 and got got locked out of it for 2 weeks because of her password I think she changed it too many times she said they even called Apple but it was in progress any one else ever have this happen ?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It happened to my iPod Touch 13 years ago.
But never longer than 10 minutes.

It is an annoying feature for sure, but it is a necessary one as well.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple has some procedures in place for situations like this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204106
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

The balance between securing iCloud Apple IDs against social engineering attacks and allowing technologically naive users who are locked out of their accounts back into them is a tough one to manage. I hope that you can help her get back in ASAP.

I don’t think it is an Apple ID problem, op’s friend seems to have incorrectly entered the pin/password on her iPhone one too many times.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think it is an Apple ID problem, op’s friend seems to have incorrectly entered the pin/password on her iPhone one too many times.

It says changed her password too many times. That shouldn’t be a problem for the phone unlocking PIN. But might be an issue with a forgotten Apple ID password where somebody keeps using the “forgot password” link in Apple ID login.

But, sure, perhaps the OP can clarify.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It says changed her password too many times. That shouldn’t be a problem for the phone unlocking PIN. But might be an issue with a forgotten Apple ID password where somebody keeps using the “forgot password” link in Apple ID login.

But, sure, perhaps the OP can clarify.

Yes you can have a pin or password to lock your iPhone.

I believe she kept frequently changing her iPhone password or pin, and got locked out of their iPhone not apple iCloud.

Atleast they didn’t select the “erase all data” if passcode is entered 10 times incorrectly.

Although then it wouldn’t be locked for two weeks.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
In that case, a simple factory reset would allow access to the phone again. Getting locked out of your Apple ID, though, would not, because the device will be locked to the Apple ID even if you try a factory reset.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
In that case, a simple factory reset would allow access to the phone again. Getting locked out of your Apple ID, though, would not, because the device will be locked to the Apple ID even if you try a factory reset.

True but they wont be able to factory reset their phone until the two weeks are up or if they have a mac they can erase it right away, but they would lose anything not backed up.

It’s actually worse than being locked out of Apple ID, there is nothing they can do on the phone until the two weeks is up.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Two weeks does seem extreme. I would have thought 2-3 days max.

Well at first you are locked out for a minute after a number of attempts, but if you keep entering the wrong password then that gets increased with each subsequent incorrect password. 5min to 10 min to an hour………until you hit 2 weeks.

Now after the 2 weeks If they incorrectly enter the password again will it be another 2 weeks lockout or will it go for a month.

Never seen a device past the 2 weeks lockout.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well at first you are locked out for a minute after a number of attempts, but if you keep entering the wrong password then that gets increased with each subsequent incorrect password. 5min to 10 min to an hour………until you hit 2 weeks..

On the sixth incorrect attempt, there is a 1 minute delay. On the seventh, 5 minutes. On the eighth, 15 minutes. On the ninth, 60 minutes. On the tenth, there is no more delay - the iPhone is disabled until you connect to a computer (or, if you had the iPhone set to erase after ten attempts, it will be factory reset) - it's never a two week delay. (iOS was like that a long time ago, though.)

OP said that the neighbor was working with Apple. If it had been an incorrect passcode lockout, Apple would have given instruction on how to go to an authorized Apple reseller or even a friend with a computer to do the erase and restore from iTunes or a computer if the neighbor did not have a computer herself.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
On the sixth incorrect attempt, there is a 1 minute delay. On the seventh, 5 minutes. On the eighth, 15 minutes. On the ninth, 60 minutes. On the tenth, there is no more delay - the iPhone is disabled until you connect to a computer (or, if you had the iPhone set to erase after ten attempts, it will be factory reset) - it's never a two week delay. (iOS was like that a long time ago, though.)

OP said that the neighbor was working with Apple. If it had been an incorrect passcode lockout, Apple would have given instruction on how to go to an authorized Apple reseller or even a friend with a computer to do the erase and restore from iTunes or a computer if the neighbor did not have a computer herself.

Had an iPhone 6 with a 2 week lock out, no idea Idea if apple has changed it but according to the op it’s still on the iPhone 13.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Had an iPhone 6 with a 2 week lock out, no idea Idea if apple has changed it but according to the op it’s still on the iPhone 13.

As I said, it used to have longer and longer lockout periods, but Apple changed it to disabling the device with 10 lockouts a while ago (I'm not sure when, but it was obviously between the 6 and the 13 series.)

How about, though, we just leave it to the OP to clarify if this is a passcode or an Apple ID issue? (And if it is just a passcode issue, the OP could be a very helpful neighbor by offering to use his or her computer to erase and restore the phone in about an hour, rather than continuing to wait after two weeks plus.)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As I said, it used to have longer and longer lockout periods, but Apple changed it to disabling the device with 10 lockouts a while ago (I'm not sure when, but it was obviously between the 6 and the 13 series.)

How about, though, we just leave it to the OP to clarify if this is a passcode or an Apple ID issue? (And if it is just a passcode issue, the OP could be a very helpful neighbor by offering to use his or her computer to erase and restore the phone in about an hour, rather than continuing to wait after two weeks plus.)

Best of luck to the op’s neighbor.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site

She was buying at a phone shop and told me to get it ready she wanted to change her password and she got notification om her ipad her password had been changed , went to use it on new phone and it repeatedly was incorrect and had to be changed she took it back to store and they called Apple for and they said they could not do anything about it because the 2 week activation had started , i think she said they thought it might be hackers trying to get to her new phone ??? it just kind of baffles me so I told her I would unfortunately leave it be and wait but take it to store when time is up ,next Wednesday .

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
She was buying at a phone shop and told me to get it ready she wanted to change her password and she got notification om her ipad her password had been changed , went to use it on new phone and it repeatedly was incorrect and had to be changed she took it back to store and they called Apple for and they said they could not do anything about it because the 2 week activation had started , i think she said they thought it might be hackers trying to get to her new phone ??? it just kind of baffles me so I told her I would unfortunately leave it be and wait but take it to store when time is up ,next Wednesday .

Something about that doesn’t sound right.

Anyway, tell her to bring the iPad with her and make sure it’s connected to the store’s WiFi so she can make sure she’s all set with passwords when she leaves the shop. (That way she can also respond to any 2FA code that displays on her iPad, as it should be a trusted device for her account.)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Something about that doesn’t sound right.

Anyway, tell her to bring the iPad with her and make sure it’s connected to the store’s WiFi so she can make sure she’s all set with passwords when she leaves the shop. (That way she can also respond to any 2FA code that displays on her iPad, as it should be a trusted device for her account.)

Agreed. Some pertinent information is missing. To simply go and buy and iPhone is easy. Signing into iCloud and the App Store is easy. Creating a lock screen passcode is easy. With that being said, why attempt to change the password at that time? I’m clearly missing something.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

So just to be clear, is the issue is with the iPhone passcode or the Apple ID password.