Like Mama, Apple knows best

Is a little lag acceptable for Aesthetic reasons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm on a 3G and just upgraded to iOS 4. So as you all know 3G doesn't get custom wallpaper because Apple says the performance is not suitable. I've been running custom wallpapers since my 1st gen iPhone on JB. I agree that on iOS 4 custom wallpapers adds lag on the 3G. After the JB the phone is the usual slowness except for when I open folders there is a noticeable lag compared to when I wasn't JBen with custom wallpapers. I didn't enable Multi-tasking during the JB on a 3G that would be all kinds of slow. So my question is a user that is on a 3G will either be upgrading to an i4 or not. If they are not I don't know if they care about the tiny lag? and if they are it's only a month or so away so dealing with the lag might be acceptable. I was almost driven crazy not having a wallpaper the aesthetics are just more important to me than the performance to a point. So what are your opinions on Aesthetics vs Performance?

3G on iOS4
img0452.png

3G on iOS4 w/ JB
img0462.png

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
My friend will be staying on 3.1.3 and has no plans to upgrade. He got his wife a 3GS and got himself a 3G. He is exchanging her 3GS for an i4 tomorrow, but he doesn't care to get a new phone. If it was up to him, he'd still be using his razr, but caved to her demands.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
honestly, if I could actually scale back some of the animation features in order to increase speed over "good looks", i'd do that on the 3G.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
My friend will be staying on 3.1.3 and has no plans to upgrade. He got his wife a 3GS and got himself a 3G. He is exchanging her 3GS for an i4 tomorrow, but he doesn't care to get a new phone. If it was up to him, he'd still be using his razr, but caved to her demands.

And you still refer to him as a friend :p:D

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't get the big need for wallpapers. But then again, i don't see why anyone would be using a 3G still. Just sell it and buy the new one?

lazerbyte

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3G and upgraded to the iphone4 as I wanted the features the one phone offers!

I want the multitasking and the 3G didn't have the ability to do video either!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't get the big need for wallpapers. But then again, i don't see why anyone would be using a 3G still. Just sell it and buy the new one?

I'm on a 3G because I skipped the 3Gs knowing something better was coming. I found the speed increase was so insignificant it wasn't worth the money. I don't have the new one because I'm in Canada and Steve Job's world map has a big ? north of America :p I love having a good phone but I've got to like what I'm using and looking at a plain background just aint my cup of tea. I'm willing to deal with a little lag knowing there is a better, faster upgrade coming as long as my phone looks sweet. If there wasn't a new phone I would have tried to downgrade or somehow get back to 3.1.2

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Why can't you have both? Speed and good looks. It shouldnt be that hard. I updated my 3gs to 4.0 and have lag on both opening apps and when typing in e-mails or MMS. Hate it. Hope the iphone 4 doesn't have these same lags.

sverr

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I do love a nice looking setup, and back grounds add some much needed flair. I would rather Apple just give the end-user the decision on if they want a background. Let us decide if the drop in performance is too great.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Why can't you have both? Speed and good looks. It shouldnt be that hard. I updated my 3gs to 4.0 and have lag on both opening apps and when typing in e-mails or MMS. Hate it. Hope the iphone 4 doesn't have these same lags.

ofcourse both would be best but I just think that Apple saying 3G can't do Wallpapers because of hardware is silly because I've had wallpapers for as long as I've owned my 3G and there was no problem. Yes there is a lag but they should realize that alot of people would rather deal with the lag and have wallpapers.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I got the iP4 after having a 3G. I JB the 3G to have all of the OS 4 features and it lagged a decent amount. I un-JB it and it still lagged a bit. The iP4 has almost no lag at all I am very impressed with the speed of the iP4 over the 3G it is night and day!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice