Lifeproof iPhone 5 Questions

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a Lifeproof case for my iPhone 5 today. I'm just wondering a couple things.

I find my sensitivity isn't as great. I have to push down harder for it to work. Is this normal? I can't really light tap anymore.

Also, I keep getting black appearing on the screen protector part. Like a weird mark that goes away when I take the case off, but keeps appearing when I put it on.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lifeproof Questions

You're going to lose sensitivity any time you put something between the touch screen and your finger...Lifeproof's claim to fame obviously isn't going to be able to do such without putting some substantial protection around the phone, so this loss of input isn't real surprising, if you read reviews of their cases from the past, you'll see a lot of similar complaints, but the trade off is, no water damage.

The second part of your post is confusing, and i think you'd have to post a pic of what you're talking about honestly...are you saying you're seeing "black" on the screen itself or on the part of the life proof case? Are you sure it's not the screen touching the protective piece itself making it appear darker than the part of the screen that isn't touching it?

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I've attached a picture to this post to explain the black spots. They start appearing as soon as the case goes on. The only thing I can think of worth noting is I have a Zagg on. Would that be it?

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 212

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Lifeproof Questions

I've attached a picture to this post to explain the black spots. They start appearing as soon as the case goes on. The only thing I can think of worth noting is I have a Zagg on. Would that be it?

Zagg is the problem. Can't use that and the lifeproof at the same time or you will get those spots. The only real solution is to put a anti glare screen protector on the phone before putting it inside the lifeproof. That's what I've always done and what I'm using now actually.

As for the sensitivity, like mentioned above its gonna have drawbacks. Try throwing an otterbox or some other case in the toilet and see if it survives....point being, which is worse?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

^^^ There you have it (and like i mentioned before), that is essentially your screen protector (zagg) touching the screen cover of the lifeproof case causing it to "stick" together making those dark areas.

INDROIDWETRUST

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I returned my lifeproof case since it was within the 30 day return period because it kept muting my calls every time. The black spots your talking about is your zagg screen protector. The air that's caught inside the case is causing this to appear more so with it on. Remove it and it will diminish somewhat. I think the lifeproof case stills needs room for improvement. Otterbox has announced a waterproof case which will be sometime next year. I'm waiting patiently for that!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Lifeproof Questions

I returned my lifeproof case since it was within the 30 day return period because it kept muting my calls every time. The black spots your talking about is your zagg screen protector. The air that's caught inside the case is causing this to appear more so with it on. Remove it and it will diminish somewhat. I think the lifeproof case stills needs room for improvement. Otterbox has announced a waterproof case which will be sometime next year. I'm waiting patiently for that!

You are going to have to be really patient. They said the same thing last year for the 4S and I don't believe it ever came out.

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I took the Zagg off and it helped. No more black spots. The sensitivity is a little improved but I'm sure it'll just take getting used to.

Final note: is the sound quality playing through the iPhone speakers supposed to suck when you put the case on?

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Lifeproof Questions

I took the Zagg off and it helped. No more black spots. The sensitivity is a little improved but I'm sure it'll just take getting used to.

Final note: is the sound quality playing through the iPhone speakers supposed to suck when you put the case on?

YES. It's sealed and waterproof....the sound is gonna be muffled because everything is covered. The screen isn't gonna be perfect but it's still better than the otterboxes I've tried.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

OP...you're going to have to pretty much accept the fact that the trade off to a water proofed iPhone is degraded performance pretty much all around. The case is extra sealed, thicker than most and made to keep things out (which by nature also keeps things in...sound and all).

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Lifeproof Questions

OP...you're going to have to pretty much accept the fact that the trade off to a water proofed iPhone is degraded performance pretty much all around. The case is extra sealed, thicker than most and made to keep things out (which by nature also keeps things in...sound and all).

Exactly, mostly...actually it's a little thinner than most other protective cases. But aside from that, you're helping make my point. Lol. I got it not for water protection but more for dust...where I work my phone gets extremely dusty even in my pocket, this way I can rinse it off and not worry about dust (or water) getting into any crevices.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Exactly, mostly...actually it's a little thinner than most other protective cases. But aside from that, you're helping make my point. Lol. I got it not for water protection but more for dust...where I work my phone gets extremely dusty even in my pocket, this way I can rinse it off and not worry about dust (or water) getting into any crevices.

I was just referring to cases period...but we're on the same page.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Lifeproof Questions

I found when I'm listening to music if I open the charging port it helps with the sound.

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm accepting it. I still like the case. I was just making sure that these were common issues and not only related to my case. Plus, on the box, it said the sound would actually be of better quality with this case on.

I found when I'm listening to music if I open the charging port it helps with the sound.

Thanks, good tip. It does help a bit.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Lifeproof Questions

In just got the new version and the sound is good
Out of the speakers, just like without the case.
Regarding the screen, I think it is fine in the middle( just a little worse than the otterbox, on the home butto side it is a little worse and near the ear piece side it is noticeably raised and takes extra pressure the register. They can probably place a little thinner foam there.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Lifeproof Questions

Just swapped mine at best buy today...black one for a white one. When I picked out the one I wanted, I looked at the serial numbers on the back of the boxes and picked the one with the highest number. I was assuming that maybe I they had changed something, it would be in a box with a newer/higher serial number. Sure enough, this one is different...no foam strip along the top by the earpiece, thinner foam at the bottom by the home button, and two small plastic pieces on the back instead of one piece of foam. Overall, the screen sits more flat to the face of the phone and I'm not sure what might be different here, but the sound through the speakers is a good bit better too.

Wei Yue

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Where did you buy your lifeproof case? i saw that on amazon, but not sure whether i should buy one, for gift.
does it really waterproof/?

i saw many other vendor also sell this,, with very low price?? how about that? IS that good???

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

I tried a Lifeproof case with my 4S last year and the gap between the phone screen and the case screen made tapping impossible! I took it back to Best Buy immediately. Unless you're using your phone in a very risky environment, it's a deal breaker. Doesn't sound like their iPhone 5 case is any better, but I haven't tried it (heck, I've discovered that the 5 must stay naked unless, as I said, you're in a bad environment).

Except for risky jobs or extreme sports or whatever, I can't see why anyone would use this case.