Lifeproof Case VS Otterbox

Otterbox Or Lifeproof

• Otterbox - Tried & Tested

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Lifeproof - Lots of hype but no real world experience?

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I had issues with my first case but they sent me a replacement and it's sweet. It's a new updated design front with a few minor tweaks that make the sound perfect and speakerphone/facetime work beautifully, and of course it's waterproof.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had issues with my first case but they sent me a replacement and it's sweet. It's a new updated design front with a few minor tweaks that make the sound perfect and speakerphone/facetime work beautifully, and of course it's waterproof.

They are sending me a new one too! Their customer service is excellent. I look forward to the improvements. Do u still need to blow into mic?

robclif4d

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

What did they update?

Thanks,

Rob

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sound was a issue for some people, not being loud enough. And the screen bowing out was a issue. Also it now has two extra little bumps on the side to protect the mute switch.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Other than being crazy busy from demand, the customer service is good. Just need to be patient. Replacement front still has echo issue while using speakerphone and my replacement back half is starting to lift on two corners. Returning mine for a full refund. Too many other compromises I had to make with accessories, too. Don't need my iPhone water resistant that bad. I'm sure on future cases, all the kinks will be worked out and 3rd party accessories will be considered in the design (Not that big of a deal when considering they are a brand new company and this is their first product.). Would still consider Lifeproof on future phone cases!

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm about ready to send my LifeProof case packing. It is supposed to be "dustproof", but dust particles and tiny hairs and such get behind the screen constantly. And, speakerphone is totally useless - even with the "echo fix kit" they give you. I can no longer use speakerphone - ever. And, using FaceTime is a chore as well, as whoever I am talking to hears nothing but the echo of their own voice.

It is waterproof, as I've dunked it many, many times. But does that one advantage outweight the other drawbacks? Not so sure.

My Lifeproof case went on eBay the day after I got it. Fortunately that was when people were still fighting to get their hands on one. That screen protector drove me nuts. I certainly can appreciate all the pros and cons that members have listed. The back of the case felt like it was vibrating when the phone would ring. JMO but the music quality was poor when the case was on it. I guess I expected more for $70 but I was not impressed. Now the Griffin survivor is one case I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have been using my phone without the LifeProof for a few days now and it's great to be able to use speakerphone and actually hear people on normal phone calls as well. I never realized how much the LifeProof case lowered the phone's speaker and voice volume!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with my old LifeProof case.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine on since I got it and it worked great for being waterproof but it just doesn't have the fit and finish or the feel of an expensive case. I am now back in my Otterbox Defender in Zircon blue and although not waterproof I am still very confident in taking my phone to work with me and can use my speakerphone as well as any charge/sync cable I want, hard to argue with that plus it has that solid Otterbox feel again. I do notice about a 25% increase in volume from the speaker as well.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think the point is being missed. The cases are not the same. The Otterbox is a tough case but not something I would take to an extreme adventure race. Where the Lifeproof case is not something you would use everyday...

I just got my Lifeproof case in the mail to use for the Warrior Dash this weekend. Mud, Water, lots of mess... It is not going to be an everyday case though.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
LifeProof says on their site that the case isn't meant to be removed very often, if ever. I think they're intending for it to be used every day.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually asked them this and in a way your both right. It's not meant to be removed that often but about 50 times before the seal won't work

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I've has mine now since beginning of July and it is a good case. I have had it in the water just for fun in the beginning but that novelty wore off. I keep it on during the week when I am working because it does protect the phone well and keeps ALL of the saw dust and other dust out. It comes off on the weekend and back to a bumper. The only thing that I don't like is the size

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
A few pages back, I was on the fence. But now that they fixed me up, it really is a great case. Waterproof absolutely. Drop/ Shock proof- Absolutely. I was in line at an amusement park holding it in my left hand at shoulder level, and reached with my right hand to mess with my daughter and she spun around and sent it flying with force (not a mere drop) to the concrete. Nothing wrong. In fact, I had a hard time finding the point of impact. Then the other day at the gym, I set the phone on the dip bar and during the exercise, never noticed it fell, in fact couldnt remember where I put it till I saw it on the ground. THis time there was a scuff right by the ear speaker and like tiny pin hole prick to the out bumper and this time i thought for sure its broke. Nothing. Perfect and the scuff mark came off. This case is a beast. The only problem with this kind of protection is I think I have become more careless thinking its bulletproof. So Im going to be a little more careful, but so far it hasnt disappointed. I have a brand new otterbox and griffin survivor in my drawer. They are nice cases as well, but no waterproof and a little bulky and stick to your pocket.

bearich

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Lifeproof - Real Life Experience

Have a small shop and order a case for a customer. Just got a call saying it was the best money he has spent on an accessory. His daughts iPhone was dropped and his wife backed over with her car messed up the case somewhat but saved her iPhone!:)

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the defender and one thing I don't like is after an extended period of use the silicone seems to sag ever so slightly.

Whatever my next iPhone is, I'm going to give a lot of consideration to the LifeProof case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen