Lifeproof Case VS Otterbox

Otterbox Or Lifeproof

• Otterbox - Tried & Tested

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Lifeproof - Lots of hype but no real world experience?

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Who else has one? Gonna hopefully get my order link soon. It's not a cheap case so I want all the opinions I can get. Anyone regret buying it? Thanks in advance.

Jphotoz

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Spring Clip

Has anyone found a spring clip that works with the Lifeproof? I should be receiving my order link shortly but need to use a holster. Any thoughts?
Thank you
Jordan

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Who else has one? Gonna hopefully get my order link soon. It's not a cheap case so I want all the opinions I can get. Anyone regret buying it? Thanks in advance.

Since you asked and I keep going back and forth on my impressions of the case, here we go, again. Found out that I have a defective, or so they say, front half. Sometimes people can't hear me because the bottom mic vent gets stuck. This is not a good thing especially when you are leaving a voicemail since you have no idea if the person can hear you or not. Also, the top noise-cancellation vent has some kind of tolerance issue so that the person you are talking to hears a loud echo of themselves. This is for both the phone and Facetime. They are sending me a new replacement front, but if there are issues with that, I'll probably return the whole case and ask for my money back. Other than that, it is really cool to have a water resistant case. I compared it to my sister's Otterbox Defender and it is only a tad narrower. The Lifeproof is much thinner but at the cost of being substantially longer, too. It's very close in size to the Otterbox Commuter, but a little longer. The Defender looks like it would provide better shock protection so it really comes down to what is important to you.

Some features besides the obvious water & shock resistance, are that the camera lenses are very well protected without adversely affecting the performance. For what it is, the case is fairly light and slim.

There are several downsides which I am okay living with. The first is that the volume buttons, power button, and vibrate switch are much harder to operate. Since there is a built-in screen protector, it doesn't lie completely flat on the phone so can be annoying to some (my wife hates it). I haven't had any problems with the way the front screen protector is. I would highly recommend purchasing the Radtech Dock Extender from Lifeproof on the same order. This will allow you to use other sync cables than just the OEM Apple one. Plus, it seemed to be reasonably priced from Lifeproof.

Most people that show the case to think it's neat that it is water resistant, but don't find the size and price very appealing. This is just honest feedback so you don't get caught in all the hype. If the water resistant feature wasn't so important to me, I would buy a much cheaper and slimmer case instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: phreddyl

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Since you asked and I keep going back and forth on my impressions of the case, here we go, again. Found out that I have a defective, or so they say, front half. Sometimes people can't hear me because the bottom mic vent gets stuck. This is not a good thing especially when you are leaving a voicemail since you have no idea if the person can hear you or not. Also, the top noise-cancellation vent has some kind of tolerance issue so that the person you are talking to hears a loud echo of themselves. This is for both the phone and Facetime. They are sending me a new replacement front, but if there are issues with that, I'll probably return the whole case and ask for my money back. Other than that, it is really cool to have a water resistant case. I compared it to my sister's Otterbox Defender and it is only a tad narrower. The Lifeproof is much thinner but at the cost of being substantially longer, too. It's very close in size to the Otterbox Commuter, but a little longer. The Defender looks like it would provide better shock protection so it really comes down to what is important to you.
Some features besides the obvious water & shock resistance, are that the camera lenses are very well protected without adversely affecting the performance. For what it is, the case is fairly light and slim.

There are several downsides which I am okay living with. The first is that the volume buttons, power button, and vibrate switch are much harder to operate. Since there is a built-in screen protector, it doesn't lie completely flat on the phone so can be annoying to some (my wife hates it). I haven't had any problems with the way the front screen protector is. I would highly recommend purchasing the Radtech Dock Extender from Lifeproof on the same order. This will allow you to use other sync cables than just the OEM Apple one. Plus, it seemed to be reasonably priced from Lifeproof.

Most people that show the case to think it's neat that it is water resistant, but don't find the size and price very appealing. This is just honest feedback so you don't get caught in all the hype. If the water resistant feature wasn't so important to me, I would buy a much cheaper and slimmer case instead.

thanks for the input- I work at a community center as a fitness and aquatics director and in my spare time I am a director of a day camp... Waterproof is important to me lol- what you describe as the front concerns me a bit but until I see it i won't know- did my order today and I did order the dock extender but ordered it through amazon instead- I have a bunch of gift cards left and figured might as well save where i can- called lifeproof to make sure its the same one and they said yes-

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

How can you tell if bottom mic gets stuck? I got my case today and my friend said I sounded far away. I blew into the speakers which I guess is also the mic and they said that made it sound better. Do I have to do that each time? That will get annoying

Nightzombie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
lifeproof review

I've had the lifeproof now for a few days after weeks of being on pre-order list, gotta say I like it, I love the protection it offers. If you sturdy the case before putting your phone in it you will see they did a great job in impact absorbtion without all the bulk, totally in love with being able to put in my pocket and get it out easy, so worth it on that alone with the protection. I did test the waterproof design ( without my phone first lol) and it worked flawlessly. As a motorcyclist you never know when your gonna get wet and now I don't have to worry about that anymore. The screen def does get air between the screen cover and the phone causing a bubble, goes away as you use it or press on it and it's becoming less noticeable as time goes on. The thinness of this case compared to other rugged cases is amazing, I just can't believe no other manufacturer has tried to get this thin. Even my teenagers think this case is cool, not bad for old dad :) Just so you know where i"m coming from my list of previous cases (and yes there are many, case junkie I know) are
  1. Otterbox Defender
  2. Ballistic HC
  3. Griffith Explorer
  4. Gumdrop Drop series
  5. Seidio Active
  6. Case Mate Pop
  7. Acase SuperLegga
  8. Sharkeye
: Thats all of them for now, sticking with the lifeproof after all them, size and protection is too hard too give up (Btw the sharkeye was a great case and would prob not have looked at lifeproof if the screen opening was bigger, too hard for me to type on)

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
After a month or so of my LifeProof, my only complaint is the echo my caller hears when using speakerphone or FaceTime. Definitely not a deal breaker. :)

gmac315

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you with problems with your LifeProof Cases contacted them? They seem to stand by the cases pretty good I hear..I've had my case for 3weeks now and the air gap between the case and screen is gone. I work in construction so this case has been dropped and scratched but still looks great. I will say it does show if it gets abused to much but I love this case.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This past weekend, received my replacement front plate. Callers not hearing me is no longer an issue and the echo while using speakerphone and Facetime is dramatically decreased. Even though the echo for speakerphone is still there, very happy with my case, now. The customer service is good except for the long wait for response and parts to ship. They are just overwhelmed with questions and demand so should get better as they get caught up. Noticed my backplate had some larger gaps at the bottom corners which were worse with my replacement front so they are supposed to replace my backplate, too. Assuming there must have been some problems with the first couple of batches as I was part of the first order batch. Would highly recommend this case, now. Also, noticed a lot of their items have free shipping using USPS First Class Mail. This was a big part of why I bought my dock extender from them instead of anyone else. I, too, am waiting for the belt clip/holster which is supposed to be available in Sept. Due to the unusual dimensions of the LP case, don't think there is any holster currently out that will fit.

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing with the lifeproof case installed the noise concealing mic doesn't work at all or does it? Just wondering if your in a loud environment?

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing with the lifeproof case installed the noise concealing mic doesn't work at all or does it? Just wondering if your in a loud environment?

It works as long as you don't cover up the mic itself to try to remedy the echo issue. I just left mine with the echo problem. My wife said it wasn't that bad especially when compared to the defective front that I originally had.

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Im returning my life proof. For $70, callers need to hear me. Im on my third front cover. Again for $70, I dont want to hassel with changing it out every other week. I understand its a new case and bugs need to be worked out, but Im moving on. I will say this, it does do what they say, mainly the water proof, I got some cool vids under water and pics at the beach. But once the novelty wears off, the case can be a little bulky, unless you absolutely need that extreme protection, then theres no way around that and this would be one of the better choices.

robclif4d

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm returning mine too. I have a RMA request in and hope to send it back in the next couple of days. Great for waterproof needs, poor sound & the the Radtech cable attachment was loose.

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, they are sending me a complete new one. I got to say this they do have excellent customer service. So Im gonna give it one more try. I have to admit, the last couple days was scary not being lifeproofed. I hope this one works.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I love this case! I'm looking to get one for my iPad 2 when they release it. I don't have an iPhone but I was sure I'd like it before and def am now thanks to all of ya'lls comments. The big sell for me is the waterproofing. There's no other case that can do that out on the market like this with it's thin profile. It's amazing! Although I'll probably wait a couple of weeks after the release because of the effects from the first batch you guys have had. But all this is good to know

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm about ready to send my LifeProof case packing. It is supposed to be "dustproof", but dust particles and tiny hairs and such get behind the screen constantly. And, speakerphone is totally useless - even with the "echo fix kit" they give you. I can no longer use speakerphone - ever. And, using FaceTime is a chore as well, as whoever I am talking to hears nothing but the echo of their own voice.

It is waterproof, as I've dunked it many, many times. But does that one advantage outweight the other drawbacks? Not so sure.