Life span?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So it is interesting to think of the apple watch, but I was wondering what the expected life span is going to be in terms of updates and what not? Seeing that it relies on an iPhone to function mostly, anyone have any ideas for this? 2 years? More? Less? this is one thing that has me hesitant about pulling the trigger on gen 1.

AllAroundTech

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It has been rumored that there will be a removable back panel so you can put in a new software card (I can't think of the name right now, sorry). I'm not sure if this is true.

I can't imagine that anyone buying the $17,000 version is going to be happy if/when a second generation Apple Watch Edition is released, so I think the models will be released after more than one year, sort of the the iPod touch lineup.

As far as how long the device will last, It varies on how you use and take care of the device. A devices battery will last longer if you charge and cycle it properly, and a devices screen will last longer if you have a screen protector and/or case on it.

On the software side of things, if this "software card" concept is true, then the device itself could always run a smooth operating system. Take the iPod 5 for example (the touch). That ran a lot smoother on iOS 7 instead of 8. You can't downgrade to iOS 7 anymore. If the Apple watch can't handle a software that well, and the "software cards" are actually a thing, you might be able to downgrade the Apple watch to a better fit OS. Having a removable back also possibly allows for a replaceable battery.

These are all just predictions. The best way to find out is to wait for reviews. Either way, I hope this helped :)

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering what the expected life span is going to be...
This is a really interesting question. I seem to update my computers about every 4 years, because the improvements are relatively slow. On the other hand, I update my phones every 2 years because, well, the improvements are fast.

I think the watch will have relatively incremental improvements initially. I don't see it getting thinner, because batteries aren't getting any smaller. I don't see them adding GPS soon, because it will be a significant battery drain. Maybe they will add to or improve the health sensors. So I expect to be happy with my watch for a few years at least.

Maybe I will eat those words...

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't see myself going for a $17,000 version regardless, but for a $500ish model, if I get updates that make it last 3 years I might be ok with that.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The life span is going to be in line with current iPhones/iPads would be my guess. So after three years it will take the new OS update but there will be new features that it doesn't support. So it is still usable but if you want the new features you'll have to upgrade. I think a lot of people get hung up trying to figure out the logistics of the Watch Edition. The problem is that we mere mortals can't figure it out because we are not the market it is aimed at. These are people to who 17K or 20K is like chump change. When you're making 2 million a year and much more 17K is not a concern. Those people only have one concern do I want it. It's the only question they have ever needed to ask themselves all their life. If they want it they will get it and if all their friends have one they will want it.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I feel after 2-3 years with the smartwatch game getting better and better the hardware will be outdated to run newer funky things.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
So it is interesting to think of the apple watch, but I was wondering what the expected life span is going to be in terms of updates and what not? Seeing that it relies on an iPhone to function mostly, anyone have any ideas for this? 2 years? More? Less? this is one thing that has me hesitant about pulling the trigger on gen 1.
In terms of updates, I would venture guess at least 2 if not 3 years. People would complain pretty heavily if it was less than that

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This is a really interesting question. I seem to update my computers about every 4 years, because the improvements are relatively slow. On the other hand, I update my phones every 2 years because, well, the improvements are fast.

I think the watch will have relatively incremental improvements initially. I don't see it getting thinner, because batteries aren't getting any smaller. I don't see them adding GPS soon, because it will be a significant battery drain. Maybe they will add to or improve the health sensors. So I expect to be happy with my watch for a few years at least.

Maybe I will eat those words...

I think the same. I think at first, like with smartphones the updates will be incremental, but who knows, it is still a relatively new market, so it could explode and next years model really surprise us with the internals. i think if the watch is a big seller, we could see more spent to develop internals for watches and other wearable tech that would accelerate the process.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
After seeing some reviews today, I wouldn't be that optimistic about getting 3 years. It looks laggy already. Battery life is just at the point of tolerable but even then it may not last a day depending on how it's used.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
After seeing some reviews today, I wouldn't be that optimistic about getting 3 years. It looks laggy already. Battery life is just at the point of tolerable but even then it may not last a day depending on how it's used.

Agree. Almost seems like this may be like the iPad3-4, where it isnt even a full year before a new one is out. Not good seeing an apple product be so laggy, especially when that is what they use to bash android for being. Hopefully a software update fixes it.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I really love the stainless band. Today I wondered, would it transfer to the second gen watch? If so- that makes it a lot more reasonable to spend $450 on the band...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I really love the stainless band. Today I wondered, would it transfer to the second gen watch? If so- that makes it a lot more reasonable to spend $450 on the band...

I would think so.

It would be nice if that was the case. I think unless they go with the iPhone like every 2 year changing the design, the bands should work from one device to another. That is if they keep it the same. Would be nice and one less thing you had to buy new all the time if they worked on second gen devices.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the bands will work on all the future gens until the casing changes drastically. If users buy new watches every year or every other year they would make more money rather than requiring new bands. If they require new bands people would get upset and they would lose both the watch and the band sales. The bands will sell to people buying new watches so it's an aftermarket the watch is the main product. Plus they know there will be people who buy multiple bands. Also once the aftermarket gets into the band scene there will be cheaper alternatives anyway.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the bands will work on all the future gens until the casing changes drastically. If users buy new watches every year or every other year they would make more money rather than requiring new bands. If they require new bands people would get upset and they would lose both the watch and the band sales. The bands will sell to people buying new watches so it's an aftermarket the watch is the main product. Plus they know there will be people who buy multiple bands. Also once the aftermarket gets into the band scene there will be cheaper alternatives anyway.

That makes sense. Also with it being a watch, I wonder how much the casing will actually change? I mean yes it can probably get thinner, but can't really see it getting much, if any larger.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner