Life Proof Nuud for iPhone 5 Sound Issue

thisxisxlife

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I've been searching the forums for any answer to my situation, but didn't find any, so I apologize if this has been covered before.

Anyway, so basically when I'm in a phone call, people complain about how I sound. I even tested it myself, leaving a voicemail and listening to it.
However! When I hold the phone up to my ear and talk as if I were making a phone call, but I record myself in a voice memo, it sounds crisp and clear!!

Is there any explanation why the microphone would act any different between phone calls and voice memos?
Any help appreciated!

Edit: also sorry if this is the wrong section

Last edited:

donemt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
The microphone ports are covered in a membrane that prevents water from entering but does affect the clarity of your phone during a call. I have one and have learned to just use it without the speaker at times which is annoying

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

thisxisxlife

May 3, 2014
Visit site
But what I mean is that when I record a voice memo why is that clear? As opposed to me talking on the phone? Is it using a different microphone or something? Snap chat and native video recording also give me bad sound. But voice memos are fine

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on the nuud. I have no problems with the fre though. I like the fre better anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching the forums for any answer to my situation, but didn't find any, so I apologize if this has been covered before.

Anyway, so basically when I'm in a phone call, people complain about how I sound. I even tested it myself, leaving a voicemail and listening to it.
However! When I hold the phone up to my ear and talk as if I were making a phone call, but I record myself in a voice memo, it sounds crisp and clear!!

Is there any explanation why the microphone would act any different between phone calls and voice memos?
Any help appreciated!

Edit: also sorry if this is the wrong section

I had the exact same problem with my Nuud case (I didn't think about trying the voice memo idea) and ended up taking mine back because of it. I have no idea why you'd sound clear on a voice memo and unclear on a call (unless it's a combination of elements - reception, the recipient's phone, the case, etc). You've probably seen and/or tried this already, but put your phone into the case and blow into the microphone port on the front (or you can use compressed air). I've read that the waterproof membrane sticks to the speaker grill and reduces the quality of the audio. Best I can think of - good luck!

Arbor12

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been told that i sound distant or muffled when i have the case on, so i tried opening the charging port door while i talk on the phone. Once I did that everyone tells me i sound normal again and a lot clearer. I know the case is suppose to work without doing that, but i like the case itself, so I'll deal with opening the charging door while I talk on the phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore thisxisxlife

I found if you speak a little louder in calls using a waterproof case it helps a little most people don't because they feel like there yelling but it helps in my experience

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2