Lense flare issue iphone photo

Michaelc136

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
When i take pictures of light sources there is a strange lense flare that starts t the edges of lights is this normal, my dads 6+ doesnt do that
5e6fa95eb77e5a6630e066e5fb90d140.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I took the same photo on a different iphone and it didnt show
At the exact same time, the exact same scene? One could do the same thing with two identical, expensive DSLRs side by side, same scene...one will have lens flare, the other will not.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What about cases? Do the phones have cases? Identical or different cases? One with, one without a case? Cases can make a difference...

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It is simple physics.

There are a number of elements at play here - the number of elements in the lens, the sapphire glass covering the lens, angle, light, etc. The shape of the sapphire could be different, etc.

I can recreate the same issue with both of my DSLRs. The light in an environment is constantly changing, and the phone's camera will react differently to it. The only way to actually test this is to take the same photo, in the same spot, at the exact same moment, which is physically impossible.

If you feel like the camera is defective, try to exchange the phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have you taken the exact same shot with both your and your Dad's phones under the exact same conditions? One could be set on a different filter.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's 2 identical shots of a lamp. The first is a regular shot with the camera.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422291361.891653.jpg

This second shot is with HDR enabled.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422291422.308417.jpg

Michaelc136

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Have you taken the exact same shot with both your and your Dad's phones under the exact same conditions? One could be set on a different filter.

Yes i have , I took off the phone case, put both phones side by side and it was different each photo

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It would appear to most of us that you're just taking pictures at differing angles causing the lens artifacts and light flare...something corrected by moving your phone around to find a more optimal angle to take the picture. If you feel it's a hardware PROBLEM, setup a genius appointment and go get a replacement and find out. I can tell you that I get lens flare if I take pictures with direct light sources which cause it...but aside from user issues, my camera works exactly as it should.

Bottom line, if you feel it's a problem with your phone, take it back and get a replacement...problem solved (because if it still does it, it's your photography skills, and not the device itself).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes i have , I took off the phone case, put both phones side by side and it was different each photo

But you see the difference in my 2 photos. The 2nd used HDR and had more lens Flare. Many things can cause that.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
HDR is combining two exposures, it will have more, that's normal. Any camera/lens will produce flare depending on the circumstances. You have to learn at what angle to shoot to avoid it. There's nothing wrong with your camera.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
HDR is combining two exposures, it will have more, that's normal. Any camera/lens will produce flare depending on the circumstances. You have to learn at what angle to shoot to avoid it. There's nothing wrong with your camera.

I was showing the OP that many things can cause lens Flare. My phone's camera is fine for an old iP 5. I use ProCamera 8 for most photos.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter that the angles are slightly different in the ceiling photos. The light is going directly into each lens. Clearly (well, to me, at least), that is not the issue.

The biggest issue is the exposure. The two phones exposed the image differently, which would be obvious if the OP provided source images with the EXIF data (since most no one else mentioned it), but it's equally obvious by just seeing how washed out the bottom picture is... Higher exposure will blow lights out - this is why if you turn the lights off in a room, except for one lamp, and point the phone at it; the phone will ramp the exposure/ISO down to almost base. It's tricker in scenes like this because you want the people on the bench to be visible, and they're far off in the background. You have to focus on them, and then adjust the exposure to eliminate the lens flare after focusing (or use a different focal and exposure point in a 3rd party camera app).

Where the people are sitting, it's obvious that photo was exposed higher (for a darker area of the image) than the other (where the lights were kept in check).

The angle only matters insofar as it changed where the phone automatically focused when taking the shot, which caused it to expose differently than the other phone. It doesn't affect whether or not the phone is more prone to blowing out lights. In one photo, the people in the background are more visible, but the lights are blown out. In the other photo, the exposure is better, but the people are less visible in the background. Pick your poison :) This is a situation where having a similar sensor with more MP would really come in handy, because you could expose for a lighter part of the scene, but still have enough resolution to crop into the people and get a better photo after doing what you needed to do.

Not sure what type of metering Apple uses in their camera software. No third party camera apps I've bought allow you to change it, but when I had a Galaxy Note 3 changing the phone to use Matrix pretty much eliminated that from happening 99% of the time, since the phone would account for the light across the entire frame/scene when exposing the image. I'm guessing the phone is using Center-Weighted Metering instead, which is why it has a tendency to blow things out.

Like I said, using separate focal and exposure points can alleviate many of these issues.

Last edited:

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I was showing the OP that many things can cause lens Flare. My phone's camera is fine for an old iP 5. I use ProCamera 8 for most photos.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

I'm sorry, I mixed you up with the OP, thinking they were saying it was an issue.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried cleaning the lens? All I can see is grime from your fingers, or maybe a not so clean table upon which you set it down

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR