• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Kindle Books

harland

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea how much hard drive space is taken up with the typical 400-500 page book using the Kindle app on the iPad? The Kindle holds about 1500 books, in order to have a lot of hard drive left over after downloading the books on the Kindle that I have not read yet and additional books in the future, it would help to know if I need to buy the 64 Gig hard drive on the iPad or could I make do with lesser?

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
Well I promise you the iPad will have a bigger hard drive than the kindle. I have kindle app on my iPad and only have one book at a time on it. Just keep what you don't need in the cloud and only what you actually reading on your device. However after i finish this book Ill be switching to apples ebook.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't consider that a factor in picking storage. They don't take up much space at all.

Really, the only thing i'd want 64gb for is if i'm going to put a lot of HD movies or video on it. With all the streaming options, i probably wouldn't even use it for that.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't consider that a factor in picking storage. They don't take up much space at all.

Really, the only thing i'd want 64gb for is if i'm going to put a lot of HD movies or video on it. With all the streaming options, i probably wouldn't even use it for that.
I agree. Books take surprisingly little space. Music and Movies are the big memory consumers.

Moreover, all of my book readers support a personal bookshelf in the cloud. I have about fifty books on my iPhone with another 250 in the cloud. Retrieving a book from the cloud takes only tens of seconds.

Browsing a real, as opposed to virtual, book store one day, I found a paperback on the shelf that I wanted to read it. I found it in a virtual bookstore, purchased it, and downloaded it while my nephew was standing in line trying to pay for a paperback. True story.

A colleague sent me an announcement of his new book yesterday. I asked him if it was available in electronic form (even one book is too heavy). He responded that he had hoped that it would be available as an e-book on the publication date but that I would have to wait until next week (May 20) for it to show up on Kindle.

One feature of the Kindle reader that I really like is that it keeps me on the same page of the book across all of my devices. I can switch between using my PCs, my iPhone, and my iPad to read a Kindle book. "Kindle in the cloud" (maybe its that little kid sitting in the Kindle tree) always knows what page of the book I am on.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea how much hard drive space is taken up with the typical 400-500 page book using the Kindle app on the iPad? The Kindle holds about 1500 books, in order to have a lot of hard drive left over after downloading the books on the Kindle that I have not read yet and additional books in the future, it would help to know if I need to buy the 64 Gig hard drive on the iPad or could I make do with lesser?
"Data expands to fill the storage available to put it in."

When I synched my new iPad, I had about 32G of data. I expect that next year, when Apple ships the iPad2 with 128G, I will have used most of the 64G.

Zizanie

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I've downloaded kindle books to my iCloud iPad: does that mean I won't have their data applied to my iPad account until I transfer them to my iPad or read them in the cloud or what?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman