Kinda disappointed with 13-inch rMBP

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I visited Apple store recently hoping to purchase 13-inch rMBP.

Experienced both 2014 13 inch and 15 inch models for like a minute each (they had force touch models only for purchase but not for demo).

I was kinda disappointed with the 13-inch model. It didn't feel as snappy as 15-inch model. That 15-inch model was just gliding whereas 13-inch model felt like it was bit struggling. I used 13-inch model after experiencing 15 inch rMBP.

Just for Analogy sake, (Performance wise) 13-inch model felt like using iPad 3 on iOS 7 whereas 15-inch model felt like using a 5s on iOS 7.

I am definitely going to wait for new 15-inch rMBP refresh.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It's a different class of laptop using a different class of CPU, GPU, etc. There's no doubt the experience would be different. They both perform amazingly well, but there are obvious tradeoffs for the lower priced 13".

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I love my 15" rMBP - if that's the one you like, and the extra size and weight doesn't bother you, it's a great purchase. If you're thinking that way, you should wait a few weeks in case the Broadwell refresh of the 15" is announced at WWDC as some people expect.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I visited Apple store recently hoping to purchase 13-inch rMBP.

Experienced both 2014 13 inch and 15 inch models for like a minute each (they had force touch models only for purchase but not for demo).

I was kinda disappointed with the 13-inch model. It didn't feel as snappy as 15-inch model. That 15-inch model was just gliding whereas 13-inch model felt like it was bit struggling. I used 13-inch model after experiencing 15 inch rMBP.

Just for Analogy sake, (Performance wise) 13-inch model felt like using iPad 3 on iOS 7 whereas 15-inch model felt like using a 5s on iOS 7.

I am definitely going to wait for new 15-inch rMBP refresh.

Did you bother to look at the specs for each machine to make sure you were comparing MBP's with the same processors? I'm going to take a wild hair guess and say you didn't, because Apple displays mostly lower end spec'ed 13" machines and top end spec'ed 15" machines (for the exact reason you reflected in here...to make the more expensive option also seem "better").

Stores do this with flat screen TV's too...they'll set lower end models on the lowest settings and spec so the more expensive models seem INFINITELY better, when the difference really isn't that substantial when you set the TV's appropriately for a better comparison.

Go take a 13" model with the same processor setup and RAM as the 15" model and then come back and report to us how they felt exactly the same (because they are, sans the screen size).

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Did you bother to look at the specs for each machine to make sure you were comparing MBP's with the same processors? I'm going to take a wild hair guess and say you didn't, because Apple displays mostly lower end spec'ed 13" machines and top end spec'ed 15" machines (for the exact reason you reflected in here...to make the more expensive option also seem "better").

Stores do this with flat screen TV's too...they'll set lower end models on the lowest settings and spec so the more expensive models seem INFINITELY better, when the difference really isn't that substantial when you set the TV's appropriately for a better comparison.

Go take a 13" model with the same processor setup and RAM as the 15" model and then come back and report to us how they felt exactly the same (because they are, sans the screen size).

Yes, I am aware of specs but I didn't expect that much performance difference even for simple task of navigation of photos.

Every review I have seen said that 13" performance is decent enough but after seeing 15" performance, 13" felt not-so-impressive for its price. I rather spend some more and get better model.

edit : I forgot , Both are base models, I checked the prices on boards beside them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am aware of specs but I didn't expect that much performance difference even for simple task of navigation of photos.

Every review I have seen said that 13" performance is decent enough but after seeing 15" performance, 13" felt not-so-impressive for its price. I rather spend some more and get better model.

Did you even read what Sean stated above? If you had not compared the two very different models, the performance difference probably wouldn't be an issue, but since you did, well, you've been snared...;)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Also if you were at a store that had commissioned sales staff. They would make the models that paid them the most money "pop' while "sabotaging" the ones that didn't. (don't ask me how I know this ;-) )
Back to the MBP it could have been defective, another customer could have f'd-up the settings, or various other things could have been the issue because those displays take a beating daily ...

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the 13inch 2014 model and haven't had any issues since I've gotten it. I wouldn't call it average by any means and its plenty snappy. And essentially what you're saying is that you compared two items of different specs and one was better? Well yes, the one with the better specs will be better. Putting them side by side clearly did what it was supposed to do on you, which was to get you to go for the higher end model.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also if you were at a store that had commissioned sales staff. They would make the models that paid them the most money "pop' while "sabotaging" the ones that didn't. (don't ask me how I know this ;-) )

How do you know this?....;)....I had to ask.(laughing)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well back in the day I was one of those commissioned sales folks. Not as shady as some of my brethren, but sometimes you're forced to do things you normally wouldn't just to make a living.
I might add that when every dollar you made came from what you sold, you also had to know your stuff. It wasn't all tricks and slick pitches. Most of your Best Buy associates wouldn't last in a real sales environment.

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Having bought a 2015 rMBP 13in less than a week ago, I am surprised you experienced such a performance difference. I previously owned a 2014 15in rMBP, maxed out with the GPU, etc, and outside of WoW, rendering, or some other task that is using everything it can on the system, I have noticed zero difference in performance. The only time it has slowed down was when I tried to DL my entire music collection off of iTunes match at the same time, and when I set WoW way too high with out even letting it load (learned my lesson with that one, turned it back down, logged in, and slowly raised it up).
I wont deny that the hardware is quite different, and does have the ability to show a massive difference in performance, but in my experience, its not an easy thing to show.

That said, and based on my experience with both ends of the rMBP spectrum, I do not doubt you experienced a difference, just curious as what caused it.

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Having bought a 2015 rMBP 13in less than a week ago, I am surprised you experienced such a performance difference. I previously owned a 2014 15in rMBP, maxed out with the GPU, etc, and outside of WoW, rendering, or some other task that is using everything it can on the system, I have noticed zero difference in performance. The only time it has slowed down was when I tried to DL my entire music collection off of iTunes match at the same time, and when I set WoW way too high with out even letting it load (learned my lesson with that one, turned it back down, logged in, and slowly raised it up).
I wont deny that the hardware is quite different, and does have the ability to show a massive difference in performance, but in my experience, its not an easy thing to show.

That said, and based on my experience with both ends of the rMBP spectrum, I do not doubt you experienced a difference, just curious as what caused it.

Actually 2015 13" has SSD which is twice as fast as 13" 2014 model (as far as I know). I am not sure if 15" 2014 model carries same or faster SSD as 13" 2014 model.

So,things will be much faster than the 2014 13" model I saw in the store.

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Quite right about the SSD, they moved to 4 lanes vs 2 iirc. However, to be fair with regards to booting, and standard OS interaction, that is sort of on par with saying moving twice the speed of light is faster than the speed of light... over 1 foot. Yes, it is, but are you really going to notice? Intensive read/write operations will show that speed boost off far better. Now, if you are using the MBP for intensive Read/Write, then that is absolutely an important improvement (Video editing, rendering, etc come to mind). Total package considered, the 2015 rMBP 13" will be slightly faster than the 2014 rMBP 13", but not by a lot.

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Quite right about the SSD, they moved to 4 lanes vs 2 iirc. However, to be fair with regards to booting, and standard OS interaction, that is sort of on par with saying moving twice the speed of light is faster than the speed of light... over 1 foot. Yes, it is, but are you really going to notice? Intensive read/write operations will show that speed boost off far better. Now, if you are using the MBP for intensive Read/Write, then that is absolutely an important improvement (Video editing, rendering, etc come to mind). Total package considered, the 2015 rMBP 13" will be slightly faster than the 2014 rMBP 13", but not by a lot.

I didn't spend significant time on 15" and 13". Its only one minute on both models and that too in the store (which might have used gimmicks like others pointed out)

Since you have experience of using both, your experience might count better than mine. Now, I am leaning towards ordering 13" rMBP because I could spend that cost difference to upgrade my 6 year old PC.

Also, Thanks guys ! My usage is better suited towards 13" model and its not worth spending 15" model for the tasks I do. Whatever big difference I saw might be specific case.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Forgive my snark, but I didn't know that 13" ones came with an option for a quad core processor and Iris Pro (or discrete) video card.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox