Kind of a used phone...

I

iMore Question

Here is my question. I have a iphone 6 from my old job that I thought was broken. I'm no longer with that company after downsizing and whatnot....anyway, the phone actually works just fine now. If I decide to use the phone and sign up with a carrier is there anyway for the company to see that the phone is still in use?? I thought about sending it back but the company just throws old equipment away.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It’s possible. After all it’s their phone, not yours. You should probably do the right thing and return it to your old employer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is my question. I have a iphone 6 from my old job that I thought was broken. I'm no longer with that company after downsizing and whatnot....anyway, the phone actually works just fine now. If I decide to use the phone and sign up with a carrier is there anyway for the company to see that the phone is still in use?? I thought about sending it back but the company just throws old equipment away.

More than likely, yes and the phone is probably enrolled in the company’s MDM system.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As with the other folks have stated, I would do the right thing and take or send it back to your old company.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree that you should turn it in. As stated, it’s likely tied to a company account. Most companies I know that issue phones also use an enterprise account which is used for the bill and to limit functionality of the device to what the company seems acceptable.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the others, BUT with a twist. I say contact them, let them know you have the phone and wish to return it. They MAY well say for you to keep it. It's value to the business has most likely been fully depreciated.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree with everyone else... you should definitely reach out to your former employer and offer to return the phone to them. It's the right thing to do after all! And who knows, as others have already pointed out, they may just let you keep it!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the others, BUT with a twist. I say contact them, let them know you have the phone and wish to return it. They MAY well say for you to keep it. It's value to the business has most likely been fully depreciated.

Don’t forget to ask your old firm to send you the postage cost if they want it back, up front of course !